How do I specify a preferred login?

Options
tommy
tommy
Community Member

My bank requires both my wife and I to have a login. I manage both on my computer. I recently had to update my wife's credentials.
How do I get 1PW to chose my login as the default instead of my wife's when I press Command \?
I have other bank logins where I am given a choice

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:preferred password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tommy - you don't. Being "given a choice" in 1Password is the only real default behavior possible. If 1Password simply signed you into one of the two, you'd probably (rightly) be annoyed when you wanted it to use the other one, right?

One way to work around this would be to launch the items from within 1Password before visiting the bank site. If you're already on the bank's login page and you invoke 1Password from either the keyboard command or the browser extension, you will always get that choice, because, well, you have more than one login, and 1Password can't know which you want. Only when you have only a single Login item that matches the current URL will 1Password fill it automatically for you (because that's the action that makes most sense). But if you open either 1Password mini or the main 1Password app and click to launch whichever account you want to open, you won't have to choose in that way, and the Login credentials you want will be auto-filled for you.

• gedankenexperimenter
    Options

@tommy — One thing you can do is put your login entries in one vault, and your wife's in another. Then you can exclude your wife's entries from "All Vaults", and only expose your own in normal use. Then, when you want to use her login entries instead, you can switch to her vault, and those would become the default.

I'm 99% sure I'm remembering this correctly. I can't test it right now, but if I'm wrong, someone will hopefully correct me.

• Ben
    Options

You could also mark the item you want to be the "default" as a favorite. That'll move it up in priority.

Ben

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member
    Options

Bingo. Marking it as a favorite moved it up. Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gedankenexperimenter: That's a great suggestion too -- especially for those of us with way too much data! :lol:

@tommy: Glad that helped. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.