After successful logon, another 1password box pops up asking if I want to save it

Options

After logons to most websites (successfully), another 1password dialog box pops up to save the password. There are only two vaults - its saving under all vaults - somehow the computer thinks there's another 1password? Using Chrome extension on Windows 10 laptop, although 1password is also installed on the laptop.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:After successful logon, another 1password box pops up asking if I want to save it

Comments

• Hey, @salexander22! Are you using 1Password to fill when signing into these sites or is 1Password locked when you're seeing these update prompts? Most of the time, this is the result of your browser filling for you instead of 1Password or 1Password being locked at the time you sign in. Knowing how you're signing in and whether 1Password was locked at the time will help narrow things down. Thanks! :chuffed:

• salexander22
    salexander22
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using 1password to log into the account...which is why its so weird - why is it popping up again to save it like it didn't have it?

• That means Chrome filling is more likely. Chrome changed how they do autofilling a few versions back (but still recently) where the only way to stop it filling any passwords it has saved is to remove them all from Chrome. Browser autofill interferes with 1Password's autosave because it sees that you used 1Password to enter data, then that data was replaced with something else, which may be new, so it offers to save. Give this a try for me:

1. Pick a site you've already saved in 1Password where you had this problem.
    2. Open Chrome, enter chrome://settings/passwords in the address bar and press enter.
    3. Check the list of saved passwords here and, if you find this site, click the eye next to it to reveal the password. Make sure it matches what you have in 1Password.
    4. If it does match, go ahead and delete it from Chrome – click the 3 dots next to the password and select "Remove".
    5. Use 1Password to sign in to that site again and see if the problem repeats.

Let me know what you find! :chuffed:

• salexander22
    salexander22
    Community Member
    Options

Not a chrome thing - its the 1 password box that keeps coming up. Its not autosaved on chrome. Can you screen share and I can show you?

• I understand it's 1Password prompting you to save, @salexander22, but that prompt can be triggered by Chrome's autofill being enabled even if it doesn't change the data you filled and even if saving is disabled in Chrome. If Chrome ever saved a password for this site, whether recently or long ago, it could be triggering the autosave prompt. That's why it's worth checking if there is a password saved there, even if you've long ago disabled autosave in Chrome. Of course, if you've checked and there's nothing, that rules this issue out, but I don't want to ignore the possibility. This even bit me when Chrome changed how you disable filling because I hadn't cleaned old passwords out of Chrome when I switched to 1Password, so it can seem to pop up out of nowhere.

• salexander22
    salexander22
    Community Member
    Options

Gotcha. I've also cleared every password out of chrome just for good measure. Still coming up :(

• Hi @salexander22,

I presume 1Password wasn't locked at the time, right? Can you check Chrome's extension settings to make sure only one 1Password extension is installed?

If yes to both, we'd like to see your 1Password diagnostics report to figure out why it is doing that. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• salexander22
    salexander22
    Community Member
    Options

ah-ha!! That is the problem! I've got 1password extension and 1password X - which do I delete? I've got 1password installed on the laptop as well.

• Hi @salexander22,

Turn off 1Password X for now, you use 1Password extension with your program. 1Password X is for when you don't want to use the desktop program.

This discussion has been closed.