Question about backup files

emerick
emerick
Community Member

I'm running 1Password 7 on my Mac with a 1Password account. I've been running it this way for a while now. Today, I was looking in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups and I noticed that there are a lot of backup files, which I did expect. What I didn't expect, however, is that it's still creating them as recently as 12/31/2018. I thought when I switched over to a 1Password account that backups were performed on the server. Sorry if I'm confused, I'm just trying to understand why it's still backing up these agilekeychain files...?

Thanks,

Emerick

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@emerick - sharp eyes! If you have a 1password.com account ONLY in 1Password for Mac, no backup files will be created because the 1password.com server does those chores for you. That's also why a 1Password 7 for Mac installation which has only a 1password.com account won't even have the "Backups" tab in Preferences -- because it's unneeded.

However, if you never removed your existing standalone vault(s), then you will not only continue to have those vaults, but 1Password will continue to make backups as well. If you look in Preferences > Backups, do you see a vault called "Primary?" If so, then you still have at least one standalone vault which was never removed when you added your 1password.com account.

• emerick
    emerick
    Community Member

Thanks for the response! Interestingly enough, I don't have a "Preferences > Backups" section! I only have General, Security, Accounts, Watchtower, Vaults, Browsers, and Advanced. To be honest, if I kept the standalone vault - it's been a while. When I switched over to a 1Password account, I had been using Dropbox sync though.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@emerick - then I'm somewhat confused. Backups would only be made if you had a standalone vault in the database in 1Password. They wouldn't get made if you had only an old Agile Keychain or OPVault hanging around in your Dropbox folder somewhere. If you have no Preferences > Backups section, then that means you're running with your 1password.com account ONLY, which should mean that 1Password is not making new backups for you. I'm...surprised. However, two things are true:

1`. Having those older backups isn't hurting you, unless you need the hard drive space, and
    2. If you DO need the hard drive space, since you're running 1password.com-only, removing those older backups won't be an issue. So feel free to remove them if you want/need to. Maybe keep just a single one, for reference, but your backups currently are being made by 1password.com servers, so there's no need for historical backups like this unless there was data there that wasn't transferred to your 1password.com account.

• emerick
    emerick
    Community Member

OK, got it. Thanks for the helpful info!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@emerick - you're quite welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.