[Mac] Can't login via touchid after password change

Options
ScipioAfricanus
ScipioAfricanus
Community Member

Hi,

I noticed that I'm no longer able to unlock 1password on mac via touchid, although it is activated.

Two things happened (probably before):

• I changed the mac user password via terminal (passwd)
  • on the next reboot I had to sign in again on icloud on my mac and store my fingerprints again (due to the password change).

Now I know that using passwd to change the mac user's password is not the best way to do it...

But now 1password isn't asking for touchid anymore. The first time after the new login to icloud 1password said something like "reenter your masterpassword to reenable touchid", but on the following login attempts it only shows the password field.

How can I fix this?

Thanks for your help

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.4 (70204001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @ScipioAfricanus! When you make changes to your Mac user account that affects the keychain, you've likely severed the connection between the Secure Enclave Processor and 1Password. The only way we've found to fix this is by getting rid of the existing keychain, and letting macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) create a new keychain for you. This will "reset" the broken parts of the interaction between the keychain and the Secure Enclave Processor, and you should be able to use Touch ID with 1Password again. We'll need to do this in the Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder.

WARNING - only do the following once you have made a FULL backup of your hard drive; this will destroy all keychain data and re-create the keychain:

• Open Terminal and enter this command: sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop
    • Restart your Mac.

If I were you, I'd keep the moved keychain folder on your desktop or elsewhere for a while, just in case you need to recover any of its data. Let me know how that works for you.

Let us know if you have any questions or run into problems.

• ScipioAfricanus
    ScipioAfricanus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that worked. However, this should be considered a bug. Other apps, like the banking app moneymoney, were able to reactivate touchid without any issues. Should be fixed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ScipioAfricanus - glad to hear that worked for you! :)

However, this should be considered a bug. Other apps, like the banking app moneymoney, were able to reactivate touchid without any issues.

It's not -- at least not on our own end. As one of our developers, rudy, explains in this post, because we're using the Secure Enclave Processor, and the disconnect is happening there, it's something entirely outside of our control. Unless moneymoney is also using the Secure Enclave Processor (which I doubt, but you could ask them if you're interested), this isn't the same set of circumstances.

• cschaefers
    cschaefers
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. Outbank for example is still using TouchID.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @cschaefers! Can you let us know a little bit more about the problem you're having? Without a little more information, it will be difficult to say what might be wrong and how we can best help you. Thanks. :)

This discussion has been closed.