1Password doesn’t respect keyboard setting in password field

alextan
alextan
Community Member
  • Switch keyboard layout to Dvorak
  • Try editing an existing item in 1Password using smart keyboard on iPad Pro
  • Editing username field works fine.
  • Editing password always types in QWERTY mode no matter what.

1Password Version: 7.2.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 12.1.3
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alextan: You'll have to forgive me because a lot of things about your rather short post have me confused. :) First, though I'm familiar with that on the PC, I've never heard of a Dvorak keyboard layout on iOS, and I don't see that Apple makes a Smart Keyboard with that layout. Second, I'm not quite sure of the context here. Maybe a screenshot would help.

However, it sounds like you're having this issue only with password fields, and I'd actually sort of expect that. iOS does not allow any custom keyboard settings/software in password fields due to Secure Input. So although I've never heard of this issue in particular, it does make sense to me that you'd get a different result in password fields than in others. Those are handled solely by the OS, and it may be that there is no accommodation for different keyboard layouts there even if there is(?) in other places. Let me know what you find.

• alextan
    alextan
    Community Member

The smart keyboard physical keys don't have that layout. You can change the software keyboard layout of a physical keyboard in iOS settings in General -> Keyboard -> Hardware Keyboard -> Dvorak.

I've never seen this issue in any other password field but maybe you're referring to something very specific as far as the iOS libraries go that I don't know about _(ツ)_/¯. If so that's quite a bug on Apple's part that they only support one keyboard layout. If that's the issue I'll file a radar I guess.

Let me know what you want a screenshot of. I'm just referring to editing any login item in 1Password with a password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The smart keyboard physical keys don't have that layout. You can change the software keyboard layout of a physical keyboard in iOS settings in General -> Keyboard -> Hardware Keyboard -> Dvorak.

@alextan: Ah okay. You're just touch typing then. Very cool. Thanks for clarifying. Glad I'm not losing my mind! :lol:

I've never seen this issue in any other password field but maybe you're referring to something very specific as far as the iOS libraries go that I don't know about (ツ)/¯. If so that's quite a bug on Apple's part that they only support one keyboard layout. If that's the issue I'll file a radar I guess.

If it's what I think it is, I'm not sure I'd call it a "bug". It seems to be a very intentional security design decision to prevent 3rd party keyboards from capturing sensitive data like passwords and doing who-knows-what with them. I've always thought of that in terms of software keyboards, but can think of plenty of ways a hardware keyboard could be taken advantage of too.

Let me know what you want a screenshot of. I'm just referring to editing any login item in 1Password with a password.

Got it. I think that's clear enough. I guess the question is, do you experience the same issue when entering the Master Password to unlock 1Password? How about when entering a password to, say, sign into your Apple ID?

• alextan
    alextan
    Community Member

The master password field works fine with the smart keyboard and Dvorak, same with Apple ID.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alextan: Thanks for letting me know. You're seeing this in the password field in, say, a Login item then? I wonder if it might be something with what we're doing to allow the password to be visible there too, below the "masked" password field. I'm trying to reproduce what you're describing, but I am not seeing a way to select a Dvorak layout. Where are you doing that?

• alextan
    alextan
    Community Member

Yeah seeing it in login items. You go to iOS Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Hardware Keyboard -> Dvorak

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alextan: Thanks so much! I'm still not certain, but if we're just using a standard password field there only the OS will have control over it. But I've brought it up with the team so we can investigate. If we're doing something custom we should be able to fix it. :)

ref: apple-2296

• alextan
    alextan
    Community Member

@brenty Cool, thanks for looking into it.

• Thanks for reporting it. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.