Master Password not working? What can it do to reopen my 1Pwd file?

pjwolfe
pjwolfe
Community Member

My 1Password account opened properly for months, but 3 days ago it stopped opening after I entered my password. Reason, unknown. Is there a way to identify the fault and correct it? I have my Secret Key and existing Master Password available. When I tried to re-set my
'password", I became confused about which password to enter?? a) My computer password? b) the "new" password I'd just created for my 1Password (billing) account? c) Other? Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Pete

1Password Version: Password for Mac v 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MAC Mojave
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Master Password not working? What can it do to reopen my 1Pwd file?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pjwolfe - I'm sorry for the trouble! 1Password requires a Master Password to decrypt your data, as you know. If you're a previous user of standalone 1Password who's recently switched to a 1password.com account, you would have been asked to choose a Master Password for your account. This could be but does not have to be, the same one as you were previously using for your standalone setup. The same is true if you've created more than one 1password.com account -- each one requires a Master Password (because they're separate accounts). You can but don't have to use the same Master Password for both. Is that possible? That you have more than one 1password.com account? Or that you have a mix of standalone vaults and 1password.com account?

• pjwolfe
    pjwolfe
    Community Member

Lars, thank you for your help. I created a Master Password for my account and another for my wife's account. Both accounts have opened properly until now. My wife's account still opens properly but mine stopped opening 3 days ago for no reason that I can imagine. My upgrade to Mohave was done 30 days ago and I didn't have problems with 1Password until now. Can you help me identify a way to troubleshoot the app or reset my 1Password Master Password?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pjwolfe - there's no way to reset your Master Password -- at least, there's no way for US to do it for you. If you have a 1Password Families account, and you have someone who's a Family Organizer (other than yourself), you can have that person help you recover your account. But if there are no other Family Organizers or if it's an individual 1Password account and you've forgotten your Master Password or lost your Secret Key, you'll need to start over. However, at this point, to get a better idea of what might be going on with your 1Password setup, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#HBD-26974-843]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @pjwolfe only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: HBD-26974-843

This discussion has been closed.