Password settings are not used when changing passwords in password fields?

In 1Password X i changed the settings for the generated password to 15 characters and to use only letters and numbers.

But when changing a password in the password field of a website these settings take no effect.
Although I set the length to 15 there 20 characters and also symbols are used for the new password.

Is this a bug that you are able to fix?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.13.2
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

This is normal. 1PX will alway you suggest you a 20 characters Password automatically.

Finde ich aber nicht so schlimm ;)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@blaxxz
    Good to know. But sometimes passwords mustn't have symbols and therefore I changed the setting.

May be this should be a feature request?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @DenalB,

One is meant more as a quick suggestion although I believe the idea is either the defaults should work well on the majority of sites or it adapts based on known limitations, I will need to ask to know which is the case. I suspect possibly the former rather than the latter.

Now I do have to acknowledge the law of diminishing returns when it comes to password length but I'm puzzled as to why you would want to limit your passwords this much for all sites when I hope it is only occasional sites that place dubious restrictions on what a password can be. Out of 275 Login items 19 of mine have notes detailing silly, artificial limits on what a password may be and my point of view would be I wouldn't want them to dictate what I do elsewhere. I do tend to detail limitations when I find them so I don't have to go through the trial and error experience again if I need to change a password so that 19 should be accurate, at least from my own personal use. Obviously everybody will have the sites they visit that can effect what they see as being typical and 275 isn't a very large number given all the sites out there.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

You are right @littlebobbytables . The defaults work well on the majority of sites. Only some sites have restrictions which make it nessecary to shorten generated passwords. But that's okay for me. Thanks! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @DenalB,

So it's possibly not for everybody but what I do myself is when I find a site that does have odd limitations I make use of the note field in the Login item, especially if I had to work out the limitations myself through trial and error. You can even format your secure notes with Markdown to make it nicer on the eye and that works in 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password X.

Of course what would be really useful is if the quick suggestion was generating a strong a password as possible for that site so we don't have to go tweak the generator each time we come across a problematic site. That would probably be quite appreciated.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

You can even format your secure notes with Markdown to make it nicer on the eye and that works in 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password X.

Thanks for the link @littlebobbytables . Now I know how to format posts here in the forum too. :chuffed:

That would probably be quite appreciated.

That would be nice. ;)

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of @littlebobbytables, you're very welcome. :) Formatting is nice, as it makes it easier to get your point across. ;)

This discussion has been closed.