how do i install a standalone 1Password on a new iPhone?

Options
yoyo0511
yoyo0511
Community Member

I purchased a standalone Mac 1Password through the App store about a year and a half ago. I recently changed my iPhone and I'm trying to set up the 1Password App on my new iPhone without loosing my data. I know my password and user name but I can not login. All the set-up options I get are not relevant to my standalone license. What should I do?

1Password Version: not sure
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I set up the App on an iPhone with a standalone license I purchased???

Comments

• nedmullen1
    nedmullen1
    Community Member
    Options

hi :) when you downloaded the 1password app from the app store on your phone was it a new purchase or did you re-install your old purchase?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @yoyo0511! 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS are different products, so they require different downloads/purchases. Do you still have 1Password on your Mac, and if so, how are you syncing your data?

• yoyo0511
    yoyo0511
    Community Member
    Options

Thx for your reply and help.
    I re-installed a previous purchase. The purchase was for iOS (not Mac) and I used it on my wife's previous iPhone. She never synced it with a PC or a Mac. Only sync I can think of is with iCloud as part of a backup.

• yoyo0511
    yoyo0511
    Community Member
    Options

She now purchased a new iPhone and I'm unsuccessfully trying to install it on her new iPhone without losing all of her 1Password data.

• nedmullen1
    nedmullen1
    Community Member
    Options

It sounds like your wife has icloud set up already. Are you still able to access 1Password on her old phone or is it only on her new phone?

• yoyo0511
    yoyo0511
    Community Member
    Options

Only on the new (old is gone). Problem is that when I choose the iCloud option on the "sign Up" screen I get nowhere (I guess it can't find the iCloud backup)

• yoyo0511
    yoyo0511
    Community Member
    Options

Is connecting to the iCloud backup the only way to restore the App with the data? If so, how can I get to it?

• nedmullen1
    nedmullen1
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

In order to sync the data from a standalone vault to the new phone it would need to access data that had been synced using a third party service on the old device. If when you open the new app you choose 'Already using 1password' and select a sync service option like icloud and it is not finding any data then it sounds to me like she may have kept her vault solely local on her old phone and not synced anything. Likely this means her old data is gone however, I am not an expert by any means just a happy user and I am unsure how to guide you from here. So perhaps there is a way around this for you I look forward to seeing more responses :)

• yoyo0511
    yoyo0511
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. This makes sense and is very helpful (even if it doesn't resolve my issue for now). Hopefully, a 1Password Team Member would reply with a way around it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yoyo0511 - is your wife using the same Apple ID she used on her previous phone? If so, then she should be able to install 1Password for iOS on her new phone and retrieve the data from iCloud directly. Just choose the option to sync via iCloud and follow the on-screen directions. Let me know if that works for you.

• Jeffois
    Jeffois
    Community Member
    Options

I'm reading it this way...that she had an iCloud backup of her phone data, but had never synced her 1Password data to any cloud service.

Do I have that right?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jeffois - I think we'll have to wait for @yoyo0511 to weigh in on that question, but it's certainly a possibility. In that case, a fix is possible, but it's considerably more involved.

This discussion has been closed.