Making and saving changes to an excel document that is in 1Password

Options
KeBa1
KeBa1
Community Member

I have an excel doc in 1PW7, saved within a 'secure doc' (and therefore also in 'Documents'. When I open it with excel, and make and save changes, they are not saved. Please tell me what I should be doing. Thanks.

1Password Version: 1PW7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how to save changes to an excel document that I keep in 1Password?

Comments

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member
    Options

I asked more than my share of questions today...sorry. I don't think that I have seen a reply to this on though. Thanks.

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, sorry...the one unanswered so far is this one: I have an excel doc in 1PW7, saved within a 'secure doc' (and therefore also in 'Documents'. When I open it with excel, and make and save changes, they are not saved. Please tell me what I should be doing. Thanks.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@KeithBaker1 ,

I'm not an expert here, but I don't think you can use 1Password to Open/Edit/Save the document. I think you can make your edits, but have to re-save the document locally, and then re-add it to 1Password.

The note within the 1Password item says the document will be downloaded / decrypted temporarily for the session, and if you Show in Finder, you'll see it is located in a temporary area on the Mac (.../private/var/....).

I see when I try to edit, the document opens the decrypted downloaded version, but as you've noted, when you Save and then leave the item, and return, the changes are gone.

Someone from the 1Password team will respond soon with a definitive statement about this.

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, good, I hope the 1Password team will do that. Hope there is a simple solution that just isn't that obvious. But having to extract the document from 1PW to make changes; then put it back into documents within 1PW and possibly also have to re-link it to a Secure Note is an option that would prevent me from using 1PW for any docs that needed even occasional revisions. Totally fine for docs that never change -- image of passport, Healthcare Directive, etc. But for most of us, not okay for most spreadsheets.

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member
    Options

Well, upon further reading, I stumbled upon this answer from 2015 on the forum. It's exactly what I was afraid of, if it's still true.

"I'm very sorry for the confusion about that! Attachments in 1Password work like attachments in an email - in other words, the attachment is static (i.e. read-only) and changes would need to be saved to a new/separate copy of that file.

The reason it works this way is because your attachments in 1Password are encrypted, just like the rest of your 1Password data. In order to view a 1Password attachment in QuickLook or open it in another app, 1Password must make a decrypted copy of that file into a temporary cache on the Mac. Therefore, any changes you make to that file are actually made to the temporary copy. To keep your data secure, the temporary cache is deleted when you lock or close 1Password (and therefore the changes you made to that file are also deleted).

To edit an attachment, you'll need to drag the file out of 1Password to make a copy in the Finder, then make and save changes to that copy. Delete the original attachment from 1Password, then attach the new, edited copy. This is explained in the Edit a file section of this user guide article, although unfortunately it's not made clear in the 1Password app itself.

We have an open request with our developers to make this clear in the UI, possibly with a warning message when opening attachments. I'll add your comments to the ticket in order to let our developers know you lost some data because of that misunderstanding. I sincerely apologize for that!"

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019
    Options

@KeithBaker1 - @MrC is correct - 1Password is not a file editor. We have a basic ability to view certain types of files (though definitely not all), but editing is something you have to do locally, in decrypted form first. Open the .xls file in Excel, make your changes, then save to your local desktop (or wherever you prefer). Then, it's probably a good idea to remove (delete) the older version of the item from 1Password (else you'll have multiple iterations of the document), and finally upload the version with the changes as a new Document. You'll also need to re-establish any links you previously made to or from the older version, as these will be destroyed when you delete that older version.

I certainly agree this isn't ideal for routinely (or even occasionally) changed documents, but there's at present no way around this, due to the nature of the encryption we use, as I see you found out in an older thread. Sorry for the inconvenience, and glad I could clear the issue up. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding this.

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Lars, I sent an email to the support address yesterday about my username for this forum. Thanks in advance for looking at that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KeBa1 - replied via email. :)

This discussion has been closed.