To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Migration of the "local" trash to the "online" trash

tetardbleu
tetardbleu
Community Member
edited January 2019 in Memberships

So, I finally decided to give a try to the membership. Everything went OK (I accepted the automatic process to add my account in the app the first time I logged into my web vault) , except for my 1password trash whom is now empty. The one from my local vault was not... it's not that big of a deal, the items in the trash were in it for a reason, but still. I also had my reasons not to empty it . I remember seeing something about this in the forum but I can't seem to find it now. I imagine that the only option for me to recover from this trash would be to install a free copy of the app on a vm or something and load a backup of the data, right ?

i have one subsidiary question : on another thread about gift cards for other instances of 1password, you folks said you weren't ready to offer them outside of 1password.com for now. Okay, but we were talking about shopping them from your website and the fact that it may create confusion for your customers. I was thinking about a compromise : would it be possible to offer a user a redeem code shop, directly from his own billing page? This way it shouldn't have any sort of confusion between . com .ca and .eu

Thanks for reading !

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tetardbleu: I'm not sure I understand the desire to bring Trash along with you, and it doesn't really come up, but it's an interesting point. What you'd need to do if you really want to take it with you is create a Trash vault in your account, restore the Trash in the original (empty) local vault, copy all of those items to the new Trash vault, and then send the to the trash-Trash again. Otherwise, you'd be dumping them in your Personal/Private vault or whatever with the items you actually want, and that would be a big mess.

Regarding the gift card question, I'm not sure what you mean exactly. We currently only sell gift cards for 1Password.com, but if you shoot us an email at sales@1password.com maybe there's some other way we can help. :)

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member

Hi @brenty Let's just say that when I read that ALL my data will be transferred, for me this includes the trash. If you transpose this to an os migration/backup for example, even the trash (a folder after all) is included. May I make a suggestion for your devteam to consider including a warning for users in this situation (local to online) before the process starts ?

As for my other point, my goal is to recharge my account with credits to avoid being charged every year, because as you now know, I'm old school and it's difficult for me to accept the concept of "software as a service." Luckily, I can agree with the part where I pay for a hosting service.

As for my idea. I was referring to a solution like the one That Apple use, for example. You can buy gift codes for any country available for one, BUT most of all you cane buy credit for yourself once connected to your account inside iTunes or App Store . Did my explanation help ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Let's just say that when I read that ALL my data will be transferred, for me this includes the trash. If you transpose this to an os migration/backup for example, even the trash (a folder after all) is included. May I make a suggestion for your devteam to consider including a warning for users in this situation (local to online) before the process starts ?

I think that's a bit hyperbolic, but it's something we can certainly consider. But again, keep in mind that this doesn't come up. We just don't get requests from people to move their Trash. Rather than an OS upgrade, that's like the moving company taking your full bins with you to the new house. Frankly a lot of people seem to take both the move to a 1Password account and a move to a new house as an opportunity to free themselves of some extra baggage. :)

As for my other point, my goal is to recharge my account with credits to avoid being charged every year, because as you now know, I'm old school and it's difficult for me to accept the concept of "software as a service." Luckily, I can agree with the part where I pay for a hosting service.

Ah, gotcha. I guess it just seems to me like paying the annual subscription and then canceling and removing the card would do the trick. Your account will still be active through the end of the paid period (I guess you could do it monthly too, but that seems like an even bigger pain). Does that help?

As for my idea. I was referring to a solution like the one That Apple use, for example. You can buy gift codes for any country available for one, BUT most of all you cane buy credit for yourself once connected to your account inside iTunes or App Store . Did my explanation help ?

I think I'm still not completely understanding. But Apple subscriptions can also be canceled at any time and then reactivated later. But then even the App Store doesn't allow you to have an account balance in multiple currencies. Anyway, let me know if there's something else you had in mind. :)

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Rather than an OS upgrade, that's like the moving company taking your full bins with you to the new house. Frankly a lot of people seem to take both the move to a 1Password account and a move to a new house as an opportunity to free themselves of some extra baggage. :)>

I agree with you using this "analogical" analogy, but because we were talking about digital data, I persist thinking that a warning would be useful. Of course if I'm the only one asking, however, I totally understand why it will never happen.

Ah, gotcha. I guess it just seems to me like paying the annual subscription and then canceling and removing the card would do the trick. Your account will still be active through the end of the paid period (I guess you could do it monthly too, but that seems like an even bigger pain). Does that help?>

That's not exactly my point, I don't have an issue with leaving my credit card on my account and I effectively prefer an annual payment , I just would like ideally to pay for let's say two or even five years ahead and then forget about it. This way I would have to pay again at the same frequency as for a license (approximately). But, of course, that's only psychological here.

I think I'm still not completely understanding. But Apple subscriptions can also be canceled at any time and then reactivated later. But then even the App Store doesn't allow you to have an account balance in multiple currencies. Anyway, let me know if there's something else you had in mind. :)>

What I meant was the ability we have with some of our web accounts today to put money in it, this way we are charged on our credit card only when it's empty. Plus we can put the equivalent of several months /years in it if we want to. I was referring to apple offering codes in other currencies, to point the fact that you could do the same and I must admit that I don’t really understand why you’re not … but, of course, I meant 1 code=1 currency it’s just that with apple/amazon/Netflix etc.you can choose the one you want when here it’s only available for US accounts. :'(

• I agree with you using this "analogical" analogy, but because we were talking about digital data, I persist thinking that a warning would be useful. Of course if I'm the only one asking, however, I totally understand why it will never happen.

Understood. We'll continue to monitor for feedback on this. :)

That's not exactly my point, I don't have an issue with leaving my credit card on my account and I effectively prefer an annual payment , I just would like ideally to pay for let's say two or even five years ahead and then forget about it. This way I would have to pay again at the same frequency as for a license (approximately). But, of course, that's only psychological here.

We'd love to be able to offer multi-year options as well. Unfortunately there are some restrictions that prevent us from doing this. One possible way around that would be to purchase gift cards up front:

Gift Cards | Give the Gift of Secure Passwords

This can be a bit of a money saving measure as well, as we currently offer $125 gift cards for $99, but as noted above currently gift cards are only valid for 1Password.com (not 1Password.eu or 1Password.ca).

What I meant was the ability we have with some of our web accounts today to put money in it, this way we are charged on our credit card only when it's empty. Plus we can put the equivalent of several months /years in it if we want to. I was referring to apple offering codes in other currencies, to point the fact that you could do the same and I must admit that I don’t really understand why you’re not … but, of course, I meant 1 code=1 currency it’s just that with apple/amazon/Netflix etc.you can choose the one you want when here it’s only available for US accounts. :'(

Gotcha. Yes, we'd like to expand the availability of gift cards. The primary difficulty is that it is non-trivial to make this happen and the vast majority of customers (even those in the EU and Canada) are using 1Password.com.

Ben

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member

Gotcha. Yes, we'd like to expand the availability of gift cards. The primary difficulty is that it is non-trivial to make this happen and the vast majority of customers (even those in the EU and Canada) are using 1Password.com.>

OK. I guess I'm sincerely curious why it's non-trivial, as the dev code is already in place for the US. I'm certainly missing something however (no irony or criticism here as I'm not a developer myself).
    have a nice day

• OK. I guess I'm sincerely curious why it's non-trivial, as the dev code is already in place for the US. I'm certainly missing something however (no irony or criticism here as I'm not a developer myself).

I don't have more details than that; sorry.

have a nice day

You as well. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.