Regular membership of Families?

wellsjacobson
wellsjacobson
Community Member

I appreciate the answer to my previous post. I am going to trash 1Password and redownload App from1Password site.
The ?: My wife and Have 2 computers and 2 iPhones all on the same Apple ID. Do we need just the regular 1Password subscription or the Family subscription? Also can we continue using the same Master password we have had for years?
Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@wellsjacobson - if you're like me, you don't have any particular secrets you want to keep from your spouse, but between the two of you, you probably do each have similar individual logins at various sites. What I mean is: each of you likely has a Facebook account, and one or more email accounts at the same provider, etc. If you put everything in one big shared vault, then it can get confusing to figure out which Login item labeled "Facebook" is yours and which is hers. Of course, you can tell if you look at it...but in 1Password Families, the point of having a Private vault is that you can each keep the "individual" stuff in your Private vault - so you can avoid having two or more sets of credentials for the same website all in the same place - while putting the stuff where you really do need to share, like the family Netflix login item, bank accounts where you share a single set of sign-in credentials, etc, into the family-wide Shared vault. It really helps with organization, avoiding confusion and - best of all - when you only have a single sign-in for a site, it fills automatically when clicked or invoked via keyboard shortcut, instead of popping up the mini and forcing you to choose from among multiple sign-ins.

In short, if you haven't guessed, I'd almost always recommend a 1Password Families account for a family with even two people. It's actually cheaper at $4.99/mo than two individual memberships would be at $2.99/mo each. With regard to your Master Password, you would each have your own in a 1Password Families account. And yes, you could keep it the same provided the existing one is at least ten characters (that's the minimum for 1password.com accounts). Let us know if you have any questions or problems getting set up, and welcome to the best way to use 1Password! :)

• wellsjacobson
    wellsjacobson
    Community Member

Lars, Thank you. My wife and I have used the same 1Password vault for years without a problem so I went ahead and installed the regular subscription ( not family). Now I see that I have 2 vaults: one is Wells& Peg personal and one is labeled Primary on My Mac. Is it possible to get rid of one of these vaults and only have one vault. I don't want 2 copies that can be acted on independently. I want things as simple as possible for us. As you can probably tell I am not too tech savvy -- and my wife less so.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@wellsjacobson - so, the vault you'll want to remove is the older Primary vault. You're quite right to not want two identical vaults that can both be changed independently. To remove the Primary vault, first make sure you have a complete and up-to-date copy of your 1Password data in the other vault (you should; it gets imported as part of the migration process), and make sure you have your Master Password and Secret Key. Then, just click Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts." This will remove the Primary vault. Let me know if you have any questions or difficulties. :)

This discussion has been closed.