Long time user confused at 1Password 7 for Mac

Hey all - just updated to 1Password 7 for Mac from 1Password 6. I sync across iCloud. I updated to get dark mode and am a bit confused. Is 1Password 7 ONLY subscription? I'm ok moving to that billing format but I do have to sync in your cloud and not iCloud? Sorry if this is explained somewhere I've checked the site and just trying to get clarification. 1Password 7 didn't seem to "grab" my license from 1Password 6 when it did the whole archive it in a zip. Also when I use the auto-fill in the browser it prompts me for a subscription. Does my license still work and I missed a set up step? Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @kleike82

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm happy to try and clear up any confusion.

Does my license still work and I missed a set up step?

1Password 6 licenses are not valid for 1Password 7. Your license would still be valid for v6, though.

Is 1Password 7 ONLY subscription?

No. There are two ways to use 1Password:

• 1Password Membership (recommended): Membership includes the 1Password.com service (including sync), the latest versions of all of the 1Password apps, the ability to securely share data (with a multi-user membership), automatic offsite backups for 1Password.com vaults, and more. You can read more about the benefits here: About 1Password membership. Membership is a subscription service.
    • Standalone Licensing: Licenses are sold per-person, per-version, and per-platform (e.g. 1Password v7 for Mac, or 1Password v7 for Windows). This does not include the 1Password.com service. Standalone vaults can be synced with Dropbox, iCloud (Apple devices only), or the WLAN server (Mac + iOS/Android only). We still offer this option for customers who are familiar and comfortable with it, but it is no longer advertised and we do not recommend it to new customers. I liken it to "DIY" for 1Password. If you like managing your own syncing and backups, this may be an acceptable solution, but 1Password membership definitely makes life easier.

but I do have to sync in your cloud and not iCloud?

If you are concerned about syncing via 1Password.com vs iCloud I'd be happy to try and alleviate that concern. 1Password.com is the only first party hosted service designed from the ground up to sync encrypted 1Password data. We utilize end-to-end encryption to protect your data (meaning only you ever have the keys). You can read more about the 1Password.com security model here: About the 1Password security model and if you want learn about the nitty-gritty technical details of how we accomplish those claims we have a white paper: 1Password Security Design White Paper.

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If you'd rather stick with standalone licensing a license can be purchased within the 1Password 7 app.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Thanks Ben. Besides one snagged worked well. Excited to see the new features.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Glad to hear it. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file