1Password extension does not work at all with Firefox 65 on Fedora

Hi everyone,

When I click on the 1Password plug-in in the upper right corner, it redirects me here:
moz-extension://0df9c9ca-0153-45db-b032-6c0c7f5f266d/app/app.html#/page/welcome

...and nothing happens.
I am using Fedora 29 and the latest Firefox 65.

Thanks,
Yvonne

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.13.2
OS Version: Fedora 29
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Firefox

Comments

• northys
    northys
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

I can confirm on Ubuntu 18.10 cosmic with Firefox 65. Used to work fine on versions < 65. I have extension version 1.13.2.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Yvonne,

Does the issue persist if you completely remove the 1Password X extension, restart Firefox and then install a fresh copy?

@northys: I'm aware of a separate issue on Ubuntu with Firefox 65 but not if you're being redirected to that page referenced by Yvonne. Could 1passwordX doesn't unlock correctly on new firefox 65 be what you're experiencing given the Ubuntu + Firefox combination or is it the precise issue reported by Yvonne that you're seeing?

• Yvonne
    Yvonne
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables,

I can confirm that the issue persists after removing the 1Password X extension and restarting Firefox. If you need any additional information about recreating the issue, let me know. All in all, the same redirection happens after restarting Firefox and installing the extension again.

• Yoss
    Yoss
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

I have the same issue. I am running Ubuntu 18.04 and Firefox 65. 1Password X extension version 1.13.2.

When I open a private browsing window the 1password extension box pops up but is blank as per the stickied thread but in normal browsing there is no pop-up and I am redirected to a similar URL to the one that @Yvonne linked.

The extension works fine with Chromium.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

HI @Yvonne,

Could you try one more thing for me please. Could you create a new test profile in Firefox and see if the issue is also present in what is essentially a default/clean starting point. If you haven't before I find Mozilla's support page Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles handy. I'm just wondering is something about your normal profile is a factor and that should allow us to answer that question.

As I have tested Firefox with Ubuntu @Yoss, I wonder if you too can try the above. I believe there are issues with private browsing and 1Password X because of certain APIs 1Password X uses not being available in private browsing mode, something not shared with Chrome. I'm wondering if what you're seeing is because something is interfering with 1Password X but can't in private browsing mode which is why you get a little further.

I don't know this is definitely the case, I just figure it's worth eliminating given I was able to get things working with stock copy of Firefox on both Ubuntu and Mint, suggesting we ought to work.

• Yoss
    Yoss
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables

I tested your hunch and you are correct - when I created and used a new profile the extension worked. Unfortunately this is not an option for me going forward.

If it helps, I don't think that any extension I use is causing the issue as I have disabled them and restarted Firefox to no avail.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Yoss,

At least we're making progress. We know it's something specific to your normal profile although we don't yet know precisely what. It's a bit of a blunt tool and for a reason I haven't considered it may not viable but Firefox does have a way to refresh the existing profile. I believe it would delete all extensions forcing you to install fresh copies but it may clear whatever the issue is. Mozilla's support page on this topic is available at Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings. It won't touch bookmarks or credentials stored in Firefox but it will reset a bunch of other things basically the equivalent of a factory reset. Could that be something to possibly try?

• Yvonne
    Yvonne
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Hi @littlebobbytables

I tested the last guideline you posted "Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings" and now the 1Password X extension works flawlessly. It seems like some particular setting was the problem (I still have no idea which one). Anything else that I can help you with?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Yvonne,

I don't think we'll discover the cause and may have to contend ourselves with the win :smile: Hopefully you won't face any further issues and everything will run smoothly for you. If that turns out not to be the case for any reason please do let us know.

• btaroli
    btaroli
    Community Member

Well, whatever you do, DON'T try to reinstall the addon right now. It's gone from the mozilla source.

I'll have to try that refresh next time, but man that sounds pretty destructive. I have one F29+FF65 install that had the behavior and then started working again, but the other wasn't so I tried reinstalling the addon. Well, we'll see what's happening once I can actually do the reinstall I guess.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

We'll be back in the Mozilla extension store soon I'm sure :smile:

This discussion has been closed.