Lost ability to synch database between devices

orestisc
orestisc
Community Member
edited February 2019 in Mac

Hi all,
I've been using 1password for a while and it has really helped me to manage all my accounts.
I use 1password 6 on the mac with dropbox synch.

I have an android phone and windows machines as well. Recently, 1password kept asking my android app to "update the database" for compatibility with the latest version or so, it did that every single time I opened the app.
Finally I pressed yes.

Now it seems my devices no longer synchronize new logins to the database. I can make new logins from each device, but it no longer seems to synch to other devices.
If I make a login on Windows, it won't show up on the mac nor on the phone. If I make new login on the mac, again it won't show on the other devices.

This was working flawlessly before, so I suspect the smartphone app must've ruined my ability to sync.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @orestisc! There are two formats for sync keychain, the older Agile Keychain and the newer, smaller, and more flexible/robust OPVault. We've begun to sunset the older format in favor of OPVault. When you upgrade 1Password for Android, it converted you to the OPVault format, but I'm guessing your Mac and probably your Windows devices are both still using the old Agile Keychain. To check, look in Preferences (or Settings, depending on device) > Sync, and note the specific file path. Are they different? Let me know, and we'll proceed from there.

• orestisc
    orestisc
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Hi Lars, thanks for the timely response.
    You're right, in the Sync tab of the preferences there's no vault selected.
    The problem is even if I select Dropbox, it goes back to "None" when I open the preferences again.

Edit:
    I downloaded 1password version 7 and now I can sync to the vault!!
    The Mac version seems ok.

But I can't install it on Windows... Running the installer promptly quits the app after a couple of seconds on Windows 10. Any idea why? Should I make a new thread under the Windows section?

Edit#2:
    1. Found this https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/100876/unable-to-install-1password-7#latest
    2. managed to install on Windows.
    3. All is well again!

Thanks for the assistance!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@orestisc - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I'm glad I was able to help you get things squared away. Please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

• orestisc
    orestisc
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

since installing 1password7 I lost the ability to make new logins. Do I need to purchase it anew to be able to make new logins and synch between devices?
    Is it necessary to purchase a new license for each device?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

1PW7 is a paid upgrade from 1PW6. You can either get a licence or a subscription. A licence covers one OS but all devices on that OS, a subscription covers all devices and all OSes.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@orestisc - as @danco has already mentioned, as a new full-version upgrade, 1Password 7 for Mac requires a new purchase. That can be either a new standalone license, which will cover (and only you) on as many Macs as you own/use. Or you can become a 1password.com member, which will give you access to all four of our native 1Password applications (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) including all future upgrades, for as long as you maintain the membership. Either way, you don't need to purchase a license for each device; we've never sold 1Password that way.

• orestisc
    orestisc
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Thanks for the replies.
    "A licence covers one OS but all devices on that OS"
    "you don't need to purchase a license for each device"

As long as I have devices with different OS, don't these statements contradict each other? Mac + Windows + Android would make 3 new licenses, with 50 euros a license that would potentially be 150 euros. Add to that the other two licenses I've paid, it becomes a bit too steep for a productivity tool.
    What troubles me is that it was working brilliantly before, synching with Dropbox, and now suddenly it presents issues out of nowhere.

The following is for feedback purposes:
    I'm really not in need of an online account for this. It's not technically needed, folder synch works great. And call it a personal opinion, but I think we have enough subscriptions in our lives already. If everything becomes subscription-based it's just unsustainable. Especially when subscription comes at a price of what a full license costs. I try to keep my PC as subscription-free as possible, otherwise things would just get out of control.
    I like this product very much, but I just don't think a price of 150 euros is justified, especially for a customer that already paid to own a license.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@orestisc - sorry for the confusion!

As long as I have devices with different OS, don't these statements contradict each other?

No, but I can see how it might appear that way. Standalone licenses are sold per-person and per-platform (and per-version), meaning: you purchase a license for, say, 1Password 7 for Mac (not 1Password 3 for Mac or 1Password 5 for Mac or whatever). That will allow YOU (person) -- and you only -- to license 1Password 7 for Mac (not other versions) on as many Macs (platform) as you own/use.

Mac + Windows + Android would make 3 new licenses, with 50 euros a license that would potentially be 150 euros.

Well, not exactly. iOS and Android don't cost anywhere near 50 euros. In fact, the basic features of each are free to use indefinitely. There is a $9.99USD in-app purchase in both platforms to unlock the Pro features, for those who want them. But since we develop native code on four different platforms, we charge per-platform for standalone licenses because each must be separately maintained. Frankly, if you have both Macs and PCs as well as Android devices, you're going to be much better off with an individual 1password.com membership or 1Password Families, for plenty of reasons in addition to just the cost.

What troubles me is that it was working brilliantly before, synching with Dropbox, and now suddenly it presents issues out of nowhere.

For the record, the reason it's not working now is likely to do with two things: first, you upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac before deciding whether or how you wanted to pay for it. That means, without payment, that 1Password 7 is in Read Only mode, which is why you can't add (or edit or delete) any items; that's the functionality that's disabled without either a license or a membership. And in 1Password 7 for Mac, we also have finally retired the older Agile Keychain format of Dropbox sync keychain in favor of the newer, more robust and flexible OPVault. If you've been a 1Password user for several years syncing with Dropbox, your original sync keychain was likely in the Agile Keychain format, and if it was, that would've been switched to OPVault during the upgrade process. Let me know whether you'd like to proceed with 1Password 7 for Mac and I can give you instructions for getting that squared away, depending on whether you choose a membership or a new standalone license.

Especially when subscription comes at a price of what a full license costs.

It doesn't. An individual 1password.com membership costs (I'm using USD here because it's the currency I'm based in) $2.99/mo if paid annually ($35.88/yr). A standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac costs $49.99 at the current "launch special" price, and a 1Password 7 for Windows license costs the same. They will soon be rising to their regular retail price of $64.99, however. So, the way to figure this would be: $64.99 x 2 (for both Mac and Windows licenses for version 7) = $129.98, plus $9.99 for the Pro features of 1Password 7 for Android (assuming you want those) = $139.97. You would need additional licenses whenever 1Password 8 (and 9, 10, etc) is released on both the Mac and PC platforms also, but there's no way to know for certain when that might be. Plan on somewhere around 18-24 months, perhaps, if I had to guess? So, two years of 1password.com membership (includes all apps) = $71.76, or new licenses for both platforms every two years = $129.98 (or $99.98, if you get the "launch special" discount). In other words, the membership not only gives you multiple additional benefits, it also costs substantially less if you use multiple platforms.

I like this product very much, but I just don't think a price of 150 euros is justified, especially for a customer that already paid to own a license.

I'm not certain what license you already paid for in the past, but first of all, thank you. :) We're glad you like 1Password and have been with us for a while. And to be clear, your existing 1Password license never expires...but it doesn't work for any version except the one you paid for. Your existing license can be used forever to license the version of 1Password for Mac for which you bought it, for as long as you have hardware and versions of macOS on which that version will run. In fact, if you're continuing to rock 2012-era hardware and have OS X 10.8 ("Mountain Lion") still installed, you'd need to keep running 1Password 4 for Mac, so that older license would be entirely appropriate and an upgrade unnecessary. But I'm guessing you're like most people and you've upgraded your Mac and kept current with macOS since those days, and if so, then it's time to upgrade 1Password as well.

...call it a personal opinion, but I think we have enough subscriptions in our lives already. If everything becomes subscription-based it's just unsustainable.

Fair enough. :) Since you've got a focus on sustainability, then you'll understand better than most that if we depended upon new customers purchasing a one-time license that would last them forever with no additional purchases, that would quickly become unsustainable as we continued working to refine, update and improve 1Password with the well-over 100 staff we have here now. Like any business, we require recurring revenue to continue being able to do what we do and so we price 1Password sustainably to be able to continue doing that, since we have never had either venture capital funding or a deep-pocketed corporate parent that can provide "alternate funding streams."

Regarding "enough subscriptions in our lives already," as I mentioned earlier, how you choose to upgrade and use 1Password is still up to you. I admit to having a bit of trouble understanding this perspective because unless the argument is that one purchase should last forever and include all future upgrades for free, then there will always be a recurring cost to continue using new versions of a favorite application. The only real question is how (and, I suppose, when) those costs will occur. I personally think a known amount of $X/yr (or per month) is a lot easier to budget and prepare for than $?? every ?? (whenever a new version is released). I've tried to give you (and anyone else reading this thread) a general estimate and comparison of costs over time between an individual membership vs multiple platform licensing over time, but there are a lot of factors that go into that: how many platforms do you use? How often WILL we release new versions (even I don't know that; I don't think anyone here does)? Do you have family members that also use 1Password? If so, the equation changes even more. Let me know if you have any questions or need any further assistance with whatever you decide!

• SimpleLight
    SimpleLight
    Community Member

Hi Lars,
    I couldn't find a solution that quick in the comments below.
    As others, I upgraded from an in App stand alone purchase to subscription through my laptop on the interwebs. Unformtunately synching has gone haywire.
    I can find both accounts/vaults on my iThingy but when I am on my computer I only see the new vault with the much less passwords than saved over the years.
    Please help

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SimpleLight - sounds very much as if you still have a standalone Primary vault on at least one "iThingy." Look at each device: on the Mac, it would be in 1Password's Preferences > Vaults and on any iOS device, it would be in Settings > Vaults. What is the number and name(s) of the vaults there? Are they identical from device to device? My guess is one of your iOS devices still has the Primary vault. Let me know what you discover.

• tmax89
    tmax89
    Community Member

Hello Lars. Your comments helped solve most of my problems. One left. Background first. Bought 1PW 2014 to use on two Macs. Worked fine. Problems when 1PW went to Accounts and Subscription, which I did not want. Got tech help and eventually solved. Recent changes in software (1PW upgrades; changes to Dropbox) had me flummoxed, but now mostly working. My Computer (1PW 6.8.8) sync fine to my DrpBox, and my iphone (1PW 7.2.7) syncs there as well. I was able to change my wife's iphone to find MY DB instead of HER DB, so that syncs. But on her Mac (1PW 6.8.4), Preferences>Sync SHOWS me her path to her DB, but I cannot figure out how to CHANGE the path to find my DB as I did on her iphone. Would upgrading to 6.8.8 help? Thanks

• Hi @tmax89

We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer receiving updates. I'd have to highly encourage you to consider upgrading to 1Password 7.

1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Please note that sharing 1Password data via Dropbox is not supported. If you would like to share 1Password data with your wife 1Password Families membership would be the way to do that.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.