Why would I buy a monthly subscription?

I like using 1Password. I have version 6. As I recall, when I purchased this it came with 5 licenses. I have version 6.8.9.

Some quick observations - the website and forum responses are cryptic and at times mysteriously absent of clearly stated information. It's almost comical.

With that said:

Is version 6 going to be continued to be supported? That means will there be additional updates to this version? This is a yes/no question.

Why the mystery in the price of version 7? Download and install it ... and then you find out how much it costs.... that's just dumb.

Why would I subscribe the the online version of 1Password? This is an online platform allowing access not only by Mac but Windows and Android. Windows and Android the most highly corrupted, virus riddled software platforms out there. And why would I put my financial data in your hands? With all the data hackings including Equifax, Marriott, Yahoo, Dropbox, Home Depot, Target, Linkedin, Last Pass password keeper . and on and on it goes. What makes you different in securing my data? These are (were) all trusted companies. I find it interesting that since really nothing online is very safe why would I put all my records into one place, you, and then invite always highly corruptible software like Windows and Android to have access to it. To me that's hilarious.

Also... I wrote an email to your help dept a few weeks ago. I get back an email full of links. Then a followup email some time later telling me to resubmit my question if it was still important to me. You put a fuse on questions - discouraging responses and hoping people go away or forget or give up like I did.

Lastly, there is no discussion that could easily find of the IOS iPhone app for 1Password and how it integrates with version 7. Any links associated with this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited February 3

Hi @Wilson828

Some quick observations - the website and forum responses are cryptic and at times mysteriously absent of clearly stated information. It's almost comical.

I'll try to answer as clearly as possible.

Is version 6 going to be continued to be supported? That means will there be additional updates to this version? This is a yes/no question.

No.

Why the mystery in the price of version 7? Download and install it ... and then you find out how much it costs.... that's just dumb.

I've posted a few times in the forum but I am sorry this isn't more apparent. A license for one platform for 1Password 7 is regularly $65 USD + tax (if applicable). Licenses are per-person. That means for $65 USD + tax one person can purchase a 1Password 7 for Mac license and use that on all of their Macs. Anyone else who wants to use 1Password on those Macs would need their own license or membership. 1Password 7 for Windows would be separate. Licenses are currently on sale for a limited time for $50 USD + tax, but I couldn't say how long that'll be available for. It could end at any time.

1Password Families is our answer for families and includes access for you and up to 4 additional family members to use the latest versions of 1Password on all of your devices. :)

What makes you different in securing my data?

The short answer? End-to-end encryption where only you have the encryption keys. Ever notice how just about every other service out there has a "forgot password?" function that allows you to access your data even if you forget your password? Or a phone number you call and they let you in? We don't have that. We don't have access to your data, and we can't give you something we don't have. With 1Password membership your data is encrypted using your Master Password and Secret Key on your device before that encrypted data is stored on 1Password.com. Your Master Password and Secret Key are never known to anyone except you. They are not transmitted to 1Password.com as part of the authentication process, as they would be with most other services. You can read more about this here:

About the 1Password security model

This blog post that talks about the difference between what we do and traditional authentication may also be of interest:

1Password is LayerUp-ed with modern authentication

And if you're really interested in the technical details of how we achieve all of this we have a white paper available that gets into the nitty gritty details:

1Password Security Design White Paper

Why would I subscribe the the online version of 1Password?

There are a whole host of reasons:

About 1Password membership

Some of the ones that make the most difference to me?

1) The ability to share some data securely with my family.
    2) The ability to use the latest versions of 1Password on all of my devices.
    3) Not having to worry about backing up my data. Everything is automatically and securely backed up off-site. If I suffer a major disaster all I need to get back up and running is my Emergency Kit.

and then invite always highly corruptible software like Windows and Android to have access to it. To me that's hilarious.

Nobody is forcing you to use Windows or Android. ;) Even with a standalone license your 1Password keychain can be opened by 1Password for Windows or 1Password for Android by providing your Master Password.

Lastly, there is no discussion that could easily find of the IOS iPhone app for 1Password and how it integrates with version 7. Any links associated with this would be appreciated.

1Password for iOS is available on the iTunes App Store:

1Password on the iTunes App Store

If you're going the standalone route all of the same options exist for syncing your data as were available in v6:

Sync your 1Password data

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• A perfect and clear response. I'll read the links you provided. Thank you for taking the time to respond .

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You're very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Ben,

Using an old version of an important software like 1Password isn't a good idea. I have version 6.8.9 and it was last updated in May 2018. That's a long time ago.

I'm not yet comfortable moving to a subscription service. I'd like to update to version 7 but purchase and use the standalone version and continue to use iCloud as my sync service.

I use the 1Password IOS app on my iPhone and it works perfectly (of course).

So I'm looking for some clear instructions. I have a folder in finder under Library/ApplicationSupport/1Password 4 .... and it's in this directory that subdirectories contain backups and other stuff.

So when I download and install version 7, do I delete version 6? I guess I need to know how I clean up misc left over pieces from the past.

Thank you.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@Wilson828

Using an old version of an important software like 1Password isn't a good idea. I have version 6.8.9 and it was last updated in May 2018. That's a long time ago.

We agree completely.

I'd like to update to version 7 but purchase and use the standalone version and continue to use iCloud as my sync service.

1Password 7 will clean up as appropriate. You can read about how to download and install 1Password 7 here:

Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac

We generally don't recommend deleting anything not automatically removed.

Ben

• sorry .... me again ..... will the standalone version 7 receive updates as they become available?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited February 4

Yes, in-version updates are included with a license. :+1: So, a 1Password 7 for Mac license includes 1Password 7.1 for Mac, 1Password 7.2 for Mac, etc. No need to apologize! That's what we're here for. :)

Ben

• Ok ... done. I've never been happier to spend $50. I have the most current version of 1Password. It has some new features and it's being updated and supported. I've decided to stay with standalone - for now. I might change my mind. All the competition is online not just 1Password. The install zipped the old version 6 - I guess I'll just leave that alone now. My backup to iCloud is working. My IOS 1Password app is working fine and showing and syncing. 1Password is comfortable. I've been using it for years and I have come to trust it and find it to be reliable. For me these past couple of days was like something that might occur when suddenly you might shop for new auto insurance. In evaluating my move from 6.8.9 to version 7, I will confess I downloaded and tested Dashlane. But again that's a service too that is online. And I wasn't that impressed with it. I'll stay with 1Password and probably move to the online version in the future sometime. But for now I'm thrilled to have updated software. Thanks for the help and support. Have a nice day.

• jin_dhaliwaljin_dhaliwal

Team Member

Glad we could help! Please reach out to us if you need any help with 1Password 7 :chuffed:

• So I'm thoroughly enjoying my new Version 7 standalone. The absence of being able to sort "favorites" has forced me to discover 'Tags' which is endlessly cool. You can sort passwords in a variety of ways. I am able to group the same items many different ways. I love it. I have a couple of questions. In Watchtower Inactive 2FA it shows a short list of times - but all of them are using 2FA, how do I let 1Password know this? Also in the backup folder it contains backup files by date, that end in zip, are these files Master Password protected? You would use these files in a 'restore' function right? So I sync with iCloud. And I have 1Password on my iPhone and iPad. All is well. And if one crashes or breaks or whatever I still have my data in iCloud. But what if I wanted to copy one of the backup files to a thumb drive and store it off site or somewhere or even a safe deposit box? Can I do that? Good idea? Or is that dumb? Thanks.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @Wilson828

In Watchtower Inactive 2FA it shows a short list of times - but all of them are using 2FA, how do I let 1Password know this?

Watchtower only knows 2FA is enabled if 1Password is doing the 2FA TOTP code generation for you:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

If you are (or have to) use an external authenticator for these sites you can have Watchtower ignore the fact it doesn't know 2FA is enabled for them by adding a tag: 2FA

Also in the backup folder it contains backup files by date, that end in zip, are these files Master Password protected?

Yes. They are protected by the Master Password that was in use at the time the backup was created.

You would use these files in a 'restore' function right?

Yes.

So I sync with iCloud. And I have 1Password on my iPhone and iPad. All is well. And if one crashes or breaks or whatever I still have my data in iCloud. But what if I wanted to copy one of the backup files to a thumb drive and store it off site or somewhere or even a safe deposit box? Can I do that? Good idea? Or is that dumb?

You absolutely could. :)

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file