Only subscription now? [No; licenses can be purchased within the 1Password 7 applications]

spammityspammity
edited February 5 in Purchasing

I have used 1Password since version 1 years ago. I use it on my Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc. I've recommended to numerous friends over the years and found it to be unique and exceptional at what it does. As I looked at upgrading finally to v.7, I'm bothered at what appears to be ONLY a subscription model available now. Can someone confirm if that's the case? If so, I guess I'm going to just stick with v.6+ permanently or go entirely with another program or safari's internal security.

I've got to say, the communication here is utterly lacking. After getting who knows how many emails from Dave over the last number of months about version 7, I'm getting a bit disgusted. I know marketers must think that we believe $5/month isn't much, but when everything begins to go to subscription models, it all adds up. I'm personally getting sick of it. Maybe it works better for most people and I'm the odd man out. If that's the case, not harm no foul, but I'll simply look for another solution.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

No, you can still get a licence. From the Mac App Store it is subscription only, but direct from AgileBits you have the choice. Currently $50 but this is a discounted price that may go up to the regular price of $65 at any time.

You say "$5/month" but it is cheaper than that, though the exact price may not be relevant to your decision. If you pay annually, the monthly equivalent of an individual sub is $3/month (more if you actually pay monthly). One advantage of a licence is that you can decide when to upgrade, but if you upgraded regularly you would find the licence and the sub were almost equal in price. And in fact, as the sub covers all platforms and the licence only one (though any number of devices), the sub can be much cheaper for many people.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

danco pretty well covered it but I do think it is worth evaluating the information available at this link before making a decision:

About 1Password membership

The other thing I'd say is that software has to be updated. That is the nature of the world we live in. It costs companies money to produce those updates, and as such it costs customers money to install them. There are various business models out there that determine how far your dollar is going to take you, but with 1Password membership for a low monthly or annual fee you are always going to be able to run the latest and greatest on all of your compatible devices. That is peace of mind that I'm very willing to pay $39/yr for. That said, we want happy customers, not ones who feel locked in. If that doesn't sound good to you I would encourage you to see what the competition is offering. I feel we've built the best password management system available, but not everyone is going to agree. I'd rather have you use a different password manager than not use one at all. We offer options to export your data so if you decide something else out there works better for you, you can take your data with you:

How to export data from 1Password

I hope you decide to stick with 1Password but whichever path you choose I wish you the best of luck. :+1:

Ben

• Thanks for the reply. So if I do a family subscription, does v. 7 still allow for multiple vaults? And all family members have their own accounts?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Yes on both counts. You can read a bit more about that here:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

The basic idea is that you set up the membership, which creates your account within the membership simultaneously. Once you have that set up you invite your family members to create accounts within that membership (using the instructions in the above guide). Each account has a Private vault which can only be accessed by that account. Any number of shared vaults can be created within the membership and can be shared with anywhere from zero to all of the family.

One other tip, while we're on the subject, is we recommend having multiple Family Organizers within each family membership whenever possible. This makes recovery possible even if the primary organizer forgets/loses their credentials:

Due to the nature of the encryption in 1Password we are unable to assist folks who forget/lose their credentials, but the Family Organizers in your membership can.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• You say "but direct from AgileBits you have the choice" of a non subscription purchase.
    But where on the website I find text that says you can but no link.

Mark

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@bestlem

Licenses can be purchased directly within the 1Password 7 applications when not signed into a membership account.

Ben

• So I have to upgrade before I know what it costs?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Licenses are $65 USD + tax normally, but are currently on sale for a limited time (could end at any time) for $50 USD + tax.

Ben

• Can the iPhone App also be purchased without a subscription?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Yes. Details can be found here:

Pro features in 1Password for iOS

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file