To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

2FA for Families Account Questions

johnkessler
johnkessler
Community Member

Hello. I am considering making the move to a 1Password families account. I have a few questions I haven't been able to find the answers to:

1.) If I enable 2FA on my 1Password account as the family organizer would ALL of my family members also have to use 2FA or could I use it for only my account?
2.) Imagine this scenario. One of my family members has their 1Password account somehow compromised. The hacker would have access to their private vault. Would they also have access to any passwords in the shared vaults too? I have a few technology challenged family members and I am trying to limit any damage to others in the family in case an account was to become compromised. Would the safest approach be to only allow private vaults and no shared vaults?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @johnkessler

TOTP is a per-account setting. Enabling it for one account does not enable it (or require it to be enabled) for any other accounts. If an account is somehow compromised all data that account has access to should be considered compromised.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

If the account of a family member was hacked, does the hacker have access to the vault from the organizer?
    Or do I understand you wrong? @Ben

• Hey @blaxxz...

In the case where someone's account becomes compromised, the attacker would have access to the vaults (and vault items) that the person whose account was compromised had access. This would include that person's private vault and any vault they have had shared with them. The family organizer's private vault is not able to be shared with others, so that vault could not be compromised in that scenario.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can explain anything in more detail.

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

thanks for the explanation :)

• My pleasure.

This discussion has been closed.