Windows version equivalents of Mac features

Options

I've been using 1P on Windows since the beta but I've only recently started using my Windows machine as more than just an occasional curiosity so I've been interacting with 1P **much ** more than usual recently. And now there are a few things that are really annoying me so I'm trying to find ways to do it in Windows (specifically in 1P Mini in Windows I guess):

• Keyboard navigation in 1P Mini. I know I can bring it up with Ctrl + Alt + \ and just type to search, but selecting username/password/2fa all require me to reach over to the mouse, right-click, and then select the login. (this is mostly in desktop use obviously, in the browser I just do Ctrl + )
  • Keep 1p mini window available. On Mac, there's a "pop out" button that allows me to keep a login I'm viewing floating on top of other windows even after I close 1p mini. This is extremely useful when I need to get a few different pieces of information from a saved note for example. In Windows, it looks like the only option to keep a window open is to open the full 1P app (which I don't really want to do since mini takes up much less screen space), and even then there's no way to keep the window on top. So if I click into a window that I need to use that information in, it 1P now ends up hidden behind it which defeats the purpose.
  • This last one is actually a Windows-specific feature that I really like the idea of but I'm having a hard time using. The "fill in window" functionality is a great idea, but it seems to hardly ever work. Especially with apps that de-focus any input fields when the window loses focus (which happens as soon as I open 1P mini). Is there any way to work around this or is this just a limitation caused by Windows/the app's behavior/etc?

As a side note, I really do love the app overall. It took such a long time to finally get 1P on Windows and I've been so happy to see it getting more attention the last few years.

1Password Version: 7.3.661
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 build 17763
Sync Type: 1Password Familities

Comments

• Hello, @baggend and welcome to the Windows side! :wink:

I'll start by saying that the pop-out feature is something I miss dearly as well, but alas we don't have any equivalent on Windows as yet and I'm not entirely certain we can do something that's quite the same on Windows. We can (and likely will down the road) add a persistent minified window for a single item you can summon, but Windows is generally a bit fussy about making things "always on top" unless you specifically tell Windows that's what you want. It's totally possible we can do that and I'm completely wrong about that, but better to under-offer and over-deliver, right? :lol: What I've found myself doing is using Ctrl + Shift + \ to bring up the main app in cases where I'd use the pop-out window on Mac. With the new UI design on Windows, you can make the main app pretty small and still have it be very usable and even on my 12.5" Surface display this works pretty well for me. Ctrl + Shift + \ to bring up app, search for item, arrow keys to select it, Alt + Tab back to the window I was using and Ctrl + Shift + \ to bring 1Password up again as needed, whether it's closed or backgrounded, that shortcut opens it (if needed) and brings it to front. Not quite the same, but I've found it a solid replacement personally.

On the keyboard navigation front, you can totally handle near everything in mini from the keyboard, but it's a bit of a change from Mac. If you're copying a password, Ctrl + Alt + \, then search, down arrow as needed to select item, then Ctrl + Shift + C to bring up copy menu. Arrow key to desired data, then enter to copy and done. To access the normal right-click menu, I cheat a bit as I have a context menu key on my keyboard, but you can access that menu on any keyboard using Shift + F10

Type in Windows is a work in progress. Focus is always a bit of an adventure, and indeed you're seeing on case where it gives us trouble. We wanted to get it out there and allow y'all to use it where you can while we get through some other projects that need sorting. It'll definitely be something we spend more time refining, improving, and empowering down the road, but for the moment it's still just the humble beginning of a feature. It's awesome when it works (and I've found several places it does for me) so I really look forward to it continuing to grow. :chuffed:

And I think that about covers it. As you might have read elsewhere, 1Password 7 (and 1Password 6 before it) were a total rebuild of 1Password on Windows, so like you we're totally thrilled to see how far its come, but know we have work to do yet and are equally excited for what the future holds. :+1:

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member
    Options

Oh wow, I definitely didn't know some of these shortcuts! Ctrl + Shift + C isn't quite as intuitive, but it might even be faster than doing arrow keys + enter. And Ctrl + Shift + \ is a partial workaround for the having a window stay up thing for now at least. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we're able to get the real "always on top" thing sooner or later, but so far you've already tackled the biggest issues I've had. Thank you!!

• bundtkate
    edited February 2019
    Options

It's no trouble at all, @baggend! We have some struggles with identifying generally free keyboard shortcuts on Windows to default to, but we've been trying ot introduce more over time. Believe it or not, I was a mouse gal when I started here, but it was actually 1Password X that showed me the joys of keyboard navigation. Since then, I've been trying to be better about using my keyboard as much as possible so I'm learning new tricks every day and happy to share. :+1:

Oh, and if you want to take a peek at the full list, we've got a compendium of keyboard shortcuts for all apps here:

https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/

I'm still committing many to memory today, so it's been my bible for a while. Hope you find it helpful too. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.