Etrade autologin creates a lock on my account

When logging into etrade, my account was locked after failing several times with the CORRECT login and password. Its as if the auto "copy/paste" set of a security red flag and they wouldn't allow me to login. If I copy and pasted MYSELF, it worked fine (after unlocking the account by calling them)

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OSX 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:etrade

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @odinolson,

Can you try creating an entirely new Login item from inside 1Password for Mac for me please, so one not created by duplicating your original item or one created within the browser. You'll need to copy and paste your username, password and the appropriate URL over. Do you see any difference if you try this? If it doesn't work I would recommend using copy and paste so that any single sign-in failure is separated from others by a successful sign-in attempt. That should help ensure you don't accidentally get locked out again.

• jeffreyh
    jeffreyh
    Community Member

I have the same issue. When I use cmd-/ to login the login always fails. If I instead copy from the 1password app and past login and password independently I can login correctly. creating a new login does not change anything. The autofill for this site seems to be broken. Can it be fixed?

• jeffreyh
    jeffreyh
    Community Member

By the way, this was with safari 12.1 on a Mac.

• cecelia
    edited March 2019

Hey @jeffreyh! Thanks for reporting this. [Edit] I incorrectly diagnosed this as a max limit password field issue — Please see my post below for more information. :)
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/499451/#Comment_499451

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@cecelia Here are the official password requirements for E*Trade. No password length is specified. FYI. Mine is over 20 chars. and it has filled nicely for over a decade. hth

• Hey @vplewis and @jeffreyh — I'm really sorry about that. When I tested yesterday, copying the password from my Login item and pasting it appeared to be truncating my password and I was too hasty to jump to that conclusion. I spent some more time digging around behind the scenes on the Etrade site and found no such restrictions.
    Since I don't have an Etrade account, I asked a colleague that does have one to test filling and signing in - he was able to successfully use 1Password to fill his Login item and sign in. The URL he used was https://us.etrade.com/e/t/user/login. Is this the same page you ran into trouble on, @jeffreyh? If so, may I trouble you to create a new Login item using the steps in the following article and see if you're able to fill on the Etrade site after doing so?: https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually

• jeffreyh
    jeffreyh
    Community Member

A newly saved login seems to work, not sure why the one that was saved from a login or the new one that I saved from a login did not work. Frustrating...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

Websites can change over time -- often in ways which are not obvious -- so that what 1Password is trying to do based on what was originally saved no longer works. Saving a new login manually gives 1Password current information about the webpage so that it can better fill it later. Glad that helped! :)

This discussion has been closed.