Deleted an item, it didn't show up in Trash

sagarkiritshah
sagarkiritshah
Community Member
edited February 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I just created a new log in on 1Password Windows. I then editted it, and accidentally moved it into trash. However, it does not appear in trash folder.

I urgently need the details saved inside. It contains recently modified online banking details. I'm now unable to log into my Bank account.

HELP PLEASE.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 1.14
OS Version: Windows 10 Home Version: 1803 OS Build: 1714.523
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello, @sagarkiritshah and I'm so sorry for the trouble! I see you're using 1Password X, so I'd check three places for this:

1. Your desktop app's trash (sounds like you've peeked there already).
    2. 1Password X's trash.
    3. Item History on 1Password.com.

The last bit even allows you to recover items emptied from the trash, so darned near anything you've recently deleted should be available there. Let me know if you're able to find that item in any of those places. :+1:

• sagarkiritshah
    sagarkiritshah
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate ,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

Sadly the item does not appear in the trash in the desktop item, the trash in 1PasswordX, or in the item history on 1password.com.

I expect part of the problem is there wasn't much of a time lag between me creating/saving the entry and then editting it and then moving to trash instead of saving. I expect this may be before it had a chance to sync with 1password.com.

Any other ideas?

• It should have been saved locally either way, @sagarkiritshah, so that would be odd. Where did you make this edit – desktop app or 1Password X? Did you make the updates you're looking for in edit mode and then send it to the trash without saving? That is to say, were the changes you're missing ever saved at all? Finally, did you generate the new password? If you did, there might be a Password item saved for it, which would at least get you the password for your bank (and hopefully allows you to sign in). You can find info about password items here:

https://support.1password.com/recover-unsaved-password/

Even if you find the password, though, let me know where you made that edit and whether the missing changes were ever saved. Any scenario that results in data loss is bad news bears and I want to make sure I can track it down so we can ensure 1Password copes with it better in the future. :+1:

• sagarkiritshah
    sagarkiritshah
    Community Member

I created and SAVED (100% confident of this) the item as a "login type" in the Windows 10 Desktop App. I then editted the item and generated a new password. I'm 80% confident I saved it again after generating the password, but not quite 100% about the second save. About 2min later, when searching for the item, I realised I had already created a login with exactly the same name in the same vault a week or so ago - but this "old" item only had 2 bits of information in it. To consolidate the items, I copied and pasted some information from the "old" item to the one I had just created, but then accidentally pressed the "move to trash button" on the new login rather than old one. The old one remains visible, but the new one is nowhere to be seen.

Anyway, I've attempted to search for the password I generated using the link above, but sadly the password I generated isn't in the passwords category either.

I'm pretty sure this is an actual case of dataloss as I'm 100%. Wondering whether this might be a problem for the version of the desktop I app I have, or possibly a glitch when there are items in the same vault with the same name.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sagarkiritshah,

Move to Trash button in 1Password 7 for Windows is not able to delete your item completely, so I am not sure what happened on your side. We need to investigate.

Please create a Diagnostics Report from 1Password 7 on your PC, where you made these changes:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com. Please do not post your Diagnostic Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

Cheers,
    Greg

• sagarkiritshah
    sagarkiritshah
    Community Member

@Greg

Thank you very much. Will send you a diagnostic report when I next log on to my windows machine.

Unfortunately when trying to see if I could get the item back, I pressed "delete log" in the trouble shooting menu (I thought it might produce a log of items I'd deleted, but realised shortly after it deletes the logs that can be viewed when clicking on "view logs").

Hope this doesn't cause a problem with what the diagnostics report will generate.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sagarkiritshah,

If you deleted the logs, it will be really hard to understand what happened on your side. We will take a look at the report and get back to you via email. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: FBF-84351-719

• sagarkiritshah
    sagarkiritshah
    Community Member

@Greg

Understood. I think one thing for you guys to consider is making it clearer that the "delete" in "delete logs" is a verb and not an adjective.

Think there are a couple of things that could be done.

One option would be to have a pop up asking people again if they want to delete log files, making it clear that they do, it will remove information that will help agile bits engineers understanding what has happened.

Another option would be put anything relating to /clearing removing diagnostic information in its own subsection.

• Hi @sagarkiritshah

consider is making it clearer that the "delete" in "delete logs" is a verb and not an adjective.

I'm not sure I agree, delete isn't an adjective and we don't use adjective in other menu options as well. I cannot see how it could be misinterpreted, plus, it is hidden within Help > Troubleshooting already.

One option would be to have a pop up asking people again if they want to delete log files, making it clear that they do, it will remove information that will help agile bits engineers understanding what has happened.

We'll consider that.

Another option would be put anything relating to /clearing removing diagnostic information in its own subsection.

I'm not sure I understand but it is already in its subsection via the Help Menu > Troubleshooting that's generally hidden.

It's safe to delete the logs. If you still have an issue, you could try to reproduce it and it'd show up in new logs.

• sagarkiritshah
    sagarkiritshah
    Community Member

@MikeT

I'm not sure I agree, delete isn't an adjective and we don't use adjective in other menu options as well. I cannot see how it could be misinterpreted, plus, it is hidden within Help > Troubleshooting already.Well, clearly the troubleshooting menu is not that clear.

You may be unable to see how this could be interpretted. But I'm an example of customer that interpretted "Delete logs" in the troubleshooting menu as "Display information relating to things I have deleted from 1password". And I'm not an idiot; I have a first class degree from Oxford University. I was in the troubleshotting menu looking for something to help me recover information that 1password seems to have lost, and in doing so, have made it harder for 1password to identify what went wrong as @Greg has noted above. The fact that it was not crystal clear is bad product design in my opinion.

It's safe to delete the logs. If you still have an issue, you could try to reproduce it and it'd show up in new logs.

If you are able to fix the bug that caused my online banking credentials that were generated in 1password to be lost without my log files, I'll happily spend a couple of hours trying to reproduce the bug. In the meantime, I disagree that its safe to delete the logs.

• Hi @sagarkiritshah,

I'm an example of customer that interpretted "Delete logs" in the troubleshooting menu as "Display information relating to things I have deleted from 1password".

Thank you for clarifying that, I can see now what you meant. I'll pass it on to our design team; I think we can rename it to Reset all diagnostics logs.

• sagarkiritshah
    sagarkiritshah
    Community Member

@MikeT

I think your suggested change would work well.

• 👍We'll reply to your email soon, still looking into it.

This discussion has been closed.