Introducing Desktop App Integration for Mac! 🎉

We have something pretty cool that I’m excited to share with you: the 1Password X beta now has experimental integration with 1Password for Mac.

If you have both 1Password X and the desktop app installed on your Mac, you can:

• Unlock 1Password X with Touch ID (about time!!!)
  • Keep 1Password X unlocked between browser restarts
  • Edit items in 1Password for Mac straight from 1Password X
  • Fill logins from 1Password mini
  • And more…

Desktop App Integration is a major new feature which we’ll eventually be rolling out to all customers, but we wanted our beta friends to be the first to try it out. That’s you! :)

Requirements

To try out Desktop App Integration, you need:

1. 1Password X 1.15.BETA-0 or newer (Chrome only for now, stay tuned Firefox friends)
  2. 1Password for Mac 7.2.6.BETA-0 or newer
  3. The same accounts in both 1Password X and 1Password for Mac. If any of the accounts do not match, or if there are a different number, Desktop App Integration will not work.

Set up Desktop App Integration

1. Right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser’s toolbar.
  2. Enable Experimental Features > Desktop App Integration.
  3. Fully quit the browser (Command–Q) and re-open.
  4. Unlock 1Password X.

After you unlock, 1Password X will be connected to 1Password for Mac and you won’t have to go through the setup process again.

FAQs

How did you do this black magic?
It’s neat, eh? We’ll talk about the tech closer to release, but the short answer is that the clients establish an authenticated connection through your account(s), and then use native messaging to send encrypted payloads back and forth. It’s a much more sophisticated link than the one used in our traditional desktop extension, and it allows for some really intriguing possibilities.

I’m still being asked for my Master Password in 1Password X
Make sure you’ve followed the setup instructions exactly as written. If 1Password X is still not connecting (or if it’s trying to connect and failing) please let us know in the forum. Including your console logs will help us troubleshoot and get you on your way faster.

I didn’t see any confirmation after following all the steps. Is it working?
You won’t see any immediate confirmation. You can test the connection by locking the extension and seeing if the Mac app locks, or vice versa. Then you can try out other features, like clicking Edit on an item. The interface is still a work in progress and will become easier to use as time goes on.

Can I turn off Desktop App Integration after setting it up?
Sure. Just disable the feature and restart your browser. 1Password X will always be able to work independently, with or without the desktop app.

There’s a 1Password desktop app on Windows, too…

Yes, there is! 🤠

Comments

• noelbernienoelbernie Senior Member

nicely done!

• dtearedteare Agile Founder

Team Member

😘

• DenalBDenalB
    edited February 12

I don't use a Mac. But...

There’s a 1Password desktop app on Windows, too…
    Yes, there is!

I'm looking forward to a beta which is working with the Windows app. ;)

Thanks to all of you at 1Password Team! :+1:

• Thanks guys! I use multiple profiles on chrome and the unlock seems to be working on one profile and not on the other. I installed the beta extension on both profiles and restarted my browser, as asked.

Also, Editing from 1password x doesnt work as advertised, it still takes my to my.1password.com. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong here?

• dtearedteare Agile Founder

Team Member

I'm looking forward to Windows Hello support too, @DenalB! @SergeyTheAgile came to my house earlier this week to hack on this and we're getting closer every day. Hopefully we'll have a beta for you to enjoy soon. 🙂

@udh: It's great to hear things are working great on your one profile. I'm not sure why your second profile isn't working but I'm sure we can figure it out. My first guess is that the accounts on your second profile don't match your 1Password for Mac exactly.

Can you double check the accounts you have in 1Password X and in the Desktop App? I know we have one bug at the moment where the sign-in address must be identical. It means if one account uses my.1password.com and another uses mycustomdomain.1password.com, our new Desktop App Integration feature will treat them as different. This is a bug that we need to fix but for now you can workaround this by removing your account from 1Password X and then re-adding it.

Please give that a go and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks!

++dave;

• Hopefully we'll have a beta for you to enjoy soon. 🙂

Yes, I'm waiting... @dteare . Hurry up please! :chuffed:

How does it work with a beta version? When I install a beta am I in a kind like a beta-channel? Will I only get beta versions then? Or will I also get the newest final version after all the betas? Or do I have to manually switch back to the final version?

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

Hi @DenalB,

How does it work with a beta version?

Once 1Password is configured to use the beta update channel, you'll be prompted to get all of our beta updates including ones that are released as stable updates. The way it works is that when we're confident the latest beta update is stable, we release that same beta build to the stable channel. You can choose to switch the update channel back to stable at this point or you can keep it on and get the beta update for the next stable update.

When I install a beta am I in a kind like a beta-channel?

You have to manually switch to the beta update channel in 1Password's Update settings. You can do that via 1Password menu > Settings > Updates.

Will I only get beta versions then? Or will I also get the newest final version after all the betas? Or do I have to manually switch back to the final version?

You'll get all stable and beta updates.

You can always switch back to the stable update channel via the Updates setting, you'll be prompted to get the next stable update when it is out and no more beta updates.

• Thanks @MikeT . And how does it look like with 1Password X? Is there also a beta-channel? Or is it an own extension?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@DenalB: Good question! Chrome doesn't have a concept of "channels" for separate release types, like "beta", "stable", etc., so we have separate "beta" and "stable" extensions in the Chrome Web Store. Cheers! :)

• so we have separate "beta" and "stable" extensions in the Chrome Web Store

Good to know. Thanks @brenty . :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file