To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Need to move 1Password to my new MacBook Air

djbruestle
djbruestle
Community Member
edited February 2019 in Memberships

I've been fighting for a long time to get the results I wanted on all my devices. Is it time that I give in to a membership? I love your product, I just wish I could get it to give full results on all my platforms.

1Password Version: 3,5,6
Extension Version: Safari
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:Help!

Comments

• djbruestle
    djbruestle
    Community Member

When I attempted to complete the Account info, the dialogue came back and said I was using an incorrect key--but this is the last one I have. Should I try to find 1Password 6 for my new MB, or just start a membership, etc.?

• djbruestle
    djbruestle
    Community Member

That's my granddaughter Georgia, BTW -- I am not a three-year-old user :p

• Hi @djbruestle

I'd be happy to get you pointed in the right direction here.

When I attempted to complete the Account info, the dialogue came back and said I was using an incorrect key--but this is the last one I have.

If you don't have a 1Password membership (subscription) then you won't have an account with us. The "Secret Key" is a feature of 1Password accounts. When using 1Password without a membership account (we call this "standalone") we do not store your 1Password data, and as such there is nothing to "log in" to.

The best way forward, especially if using 1Password across multiple platforms & devices, is going to be a membership. It is certainly possible to continue with standalone if you'd like, but based on your comment of wanting the "full results" I really believe membership is going to be the best solution. I'd recommend giving this page a read through to better understand what membership offers:

About 1Password membership

One of the key things is that it gives you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices. Not only that, but it ensures that you have access to the same data on each of those devices simply by installing the 1Password app and signing into your account. It provides a much more seamless experience than standalone where you have to manage licenses, think about upgrades, and set up syncing with a 3rd party service yourself.

If that sounds good to you then you can read about how to upgrade to membership here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Please pay special attention to the instructions regarding deleting the Primary vault once you've migrated. This step should be completed on each device. Once completed you should not have a Primary vault on any of your devices.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

That's my granddaughter Georgia, BTW -- I am not a three-year-old user :p

Cute! :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.