Browser extension VERY slow

Options
brianmyrick
brianmyrick
Community Member

I have a brand new iMac Pro (by far the fastest machine I've ever used). Except with 1Password (which I love and have been using for many years.)

The browser extension is unbelievably slow. It ALWAYS takes at least 1 full second to popup. Sometimes it takes 5 seconds. It is so sluggish that often I assume I missed clicking the correct spot and click again which makes it disappear as soon as it shows up, then I click again.

I don't have this problem with my 2015 iMac or my MacBook.

It happens on Safari, Chrome and Firefox. It is also slow from the menu bar. Opening from the Dock seems normal ... but I hardly ever do that.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.4 (70204000) AgileBits Sto
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOs 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @brianmyrick! I'm a little jealous of your shiny new iMac Pro -- congratulations! :)

The browser extension is unbelievably slow. It ALWAYS takes at least 1 full second to popup...Opening from the Dock seems normal...

Let me make sure I understand the situation specifically: are you saying that this slowness is only when you're launching 1Password for the first time since login/restart/lock? Or does this happen every time you invoke the extension, even when (you're sure) the main 1Password app is already unlocked?

• brianmyrick
    brianmyrick
    Community Member
    Options

It is slow every time with the browser extension or the menu bar. I decided to take a risk and try the latest beta - and that resolved the slowness problem. Also, I haven't noticed any other issues.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brianmyrick - thanks for the update! I'm glad the beta helped speed things up for you. Let us know if you notice any other issues. :)

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Version: 7.2.5
    Extension Version: 1Password-4.7.3.90.xpi
    OS Version: 10.14.3 & MBP 2017

Hi,
    Exactly the same problem. In my case it happens at first Firefox opening and first click to addon 1P button.
    Sometimes it takes few seconds or sometimes it doesn't opened.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@webregnet - I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you please restart both 1Password and Firefox, and try again? Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), and quit Firefox normally. Thanks.

• RonWestle
    RonWestle
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the exact same problem for months now. I actually use Chrome a lot more since I tought Safari was the blame.
    Just upgraded OSX and tried again with disabling 1Password extension and the problem is indeed the extension.
    Safari V. 12.1.2 Extension V.7.3.1

• Ben
    Options

Hi @RonWestle

To clarify: the issue occurs in Safari, but not in Chrome? Do you have any extensions besides 1Password installed in Safari? If so, if you disable all of them except for 1Password does the issue still appear?

Please let us know.

Ben

• sirtawast
    sirtawast
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

This also happens to me. 1password X does the job a bit more fluently (no hanging when I click the icon) but I don't like the web view and it's overall performance.

Edit:
    I wonder if it's some cache thing. Is there a way to completely remove the extension?

I am running the newest desktop version.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @sirtawast! Earlier posters were referring to the 1Password extension in Safari. 1Password X does not exist in Safari, so I presume you're talking about Chrome here, or possibly Firefox? Can you clarify? In Safari, it's not possible to remove the extension by itself because in 1Password 7 for Mac, the Safari extension is part of the main 1Password app. In Chrome and Firefox, you can still remove the extension in the normal way: visit chrome://extensions or Add-Ons in Firefox, and disable, then delete, the 1Password extension. If you feel it's corrupted or outdated, do this, then quit the browser, restart your Mac, and when you're back at your desktop, visit our downloads page and download a new copy of the 1Password extension appropriate for your browser. Let us know how you get on. :)

• sirtawast
    sirtawast
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars!

Thanks for your quick response.

Yes, I'm running Chrome. Firefox's "requires client" add-on no longer work at all is not found in the Mozilla add-ons. I'm running latest versions of the browsers (at least the auto-updater says so). I've also tried to restart my Mac every now and then.

I've updated to 1password beta channel (on desktop side) and get more consistent behaviour now on Chrome.

I began to track down the problem and it seems that it's related to the amount of passwords in chain & the suggestions. You see, we are running the team version and I have some 800+ objects in the keychain. I've now toggled only "Personal" vault and untoggled all other vaults. It's was snappy and like it used to be in the olden days when we started using 1password (2014 I believe :p ).

The performance impact is huge. And it's the Suggestions that take the time to load. To support this theory, changing the behaviour of "Open 1password to" => "All Items" leads to immediately opening 1password. But changing to this mode will require me to input the keywords in search field. What I don't understand is the amount of time to match the web page domain to some ?00+ items. It should be a pretty quick operation even without any index. Maybe the suggestions search has some fancy heuristics.

This might be something you guys want to track and analyze from anonymous data... ;)

Cheers!

• sirtawast
    sirtawast
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars!

Yes, I'm running Chrome. Firefox's "requires client" add-on no longer work at all is not found in the Mozilla add-ons. I'm running latest versions of the browsers (at least the auto-updater says so). I've also tried to restart my Mac every now and then.

I've updated to 1password beta channel (on desktop side) and get more consistent behaviour now on Chrome.

I began to track down the problem and it seems that it's related to the amount of passwords in chain & the suggestions. You see, we are running the team version and I have some nnn+ objects in the keychain. I've now toggled only "Personal" vault and untoggled all other vaults. It's was snappy and like it used to be in the olden days when we started using 1password (2014 I believe :p ).

The performance impact is huge. And it's the Suggestions that take the time to load. To support this theory, changing the behaviour of "Open 1password to" => "All Items" leads to immediately opening 1password. But changing to this mode will require me to input the keywords in search field. What I don't understand is the amount of time to match the web page domain to some nnn items. It should be a pretty quick operation even without any index. Maybe the suggestions search has some fancy heuristics.

This might be something you guys want to track and analyze from anonymous data... ;)

Cheers!

• sirtawast
    sirtawast
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars!

I began to track down the problem and it seems that it's related to the amount of passwords in chain & the suggestions. You see, we are running the team version and I have some 800+ objects in the keychain. I've now toggled only "Personal" vault and untoggled all other vaults. It's was snappy and like it used to be in the olden days when we started using 1password (2014 I believe :p ).

The performance impact is huge. And it's the Suggestions that take the time to load. To support this theory, changing the behaviour of "Open 1password to" => "All Items" leads to immediately opening 1password. But changing to this mode will require me to input the keywords in search field. What I don't understand is the amount of time to match the web page domain to some nnn items. It should be a pretty quick operation even without any index. Maybe the suggestions search has some fancy heuristics.

Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sirtawast: Thanks so much for the info! It makes sense that 1Password would have to do less work with significantly less data to load and analyze when you open the browser extension. I'd encourage you to reach out to business@1password.com so we can explore it more in depth and see what we can do to help with your team's specific situation though. :)

You're right that we're doing a lot of processing under the hood when you open 1Password mini: it's decrypting "overview" data, looking for matches for the current URL/app, and also analyzing the webpage to see what items it should prioritize for filling (so it can, say, offer you Identities on an address form, where possible). That last part of Smart Suggestions is relatively new, so we'll continue to optimize it over time. Thanks for your feedback!

Also, in case it helps you or anyone else, you can get the 1Password desktop extension from our download page:

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

We're promoting 1Password X for Firefox on Mozilla's site because someone actively seeking out a 1Password extension will be able to install that and use it even without the desktop app, whereas the desktop app/extension together are required to function.

• Kakmonstret
    Kakmonstret
    Community Member
    Options

Guys this is still a problem. I just upgraded from 1Password 6 to 7 (from purchased license to subscription trial period) and with the change the chrome plugin UI changed (assuming it's tied to the 1Password version somehow?) and it got significantly slower exactly what's described here. There's clearly a perf problem with the plugin (just google "1password chrome slow") that still hasn't been adressed in over a year. I REALLY used to like this product. For a long time you had the best password manager bar none. But you keep adding bloat (which seems to impact performance) and making the product and payment options more complicated (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/74896/what-exactly-is-a-sign-in-address-and-what-is-it-used-for).

I've been trialing Bitwarden for a while and I'm strongly considering moving oven. I'd prefer to stay but the current trajectory of your product simply gives me no confidence.

• Ben
    Options

I'm sorry to hear we've made you feel that way @Kakmonstret. We'd be happy to look into the performance issue you're having. To facilitate that please send us a diagnostic report:

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

With your message please include a link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/545314/#Comment_545314

I can say the plugin operates pretty snappy for me, so whatever performance issue might exist isn't universal. Hopefully by looking at some diagnostics we can track down what is different about your setup from mine. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.