Password generator sometimes doesn't appear when changing passwords

Options
macbates
macbates
Community Member

I’m in the process of changing the passwords on all my vulnerable/compromised accounts as shown by 1Pass, but am having a real problem with the password generator in 1Password. Some of the time it works as it should; when I’m on the account page of the web site that I want to change, the password generator appears in the left pane of 1Pass. About half the time however, there is no password generator icon in the left pane and there doesn’t seem to be a way to get it to appear. The password generator seems to be deliberately hidden from the user except in certain cases, so when it decides not to present itself, there’s no way to get a decent password (short of using the one in Keychain, which is very cumbersome).

So, how do I get the password generator to appear so I can get a good password? When I’m on the web page that allows me to change my account password, about half the time 1Pass won’t let me access the password generator (it doesn’t appear anywhere). Works sometimes, but fails other times, and I can’t figure out what the common failure mode is (or when 1Pass decides that I’m not allowed to use the password generator). I’ve submitted a help request, but since support hasn’t responded I’m hoping that maybe I can get an answer in this forum.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: Local

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@macbates - I see you've asked this same question of our email support team. Can I ask a favor of you? Please keep your questions in a single communication channel. You're welcome (encouraged, even) to choose which channel you think is most appropriate for your request (or just the one you prefer), but when we have to stop and coordinate multiple replies to the same question among multiple team members here, it creates confusion, duplication of effort and it slows the support times for everyone including you. Thanks for your cooperation. :) One of our email support team will be with you as quickly as possible; we answer user requests in the order we receive them.

This discussion has been closed.