Vaults not syncing between multiple users

Options

Hello, 1password was setup by a previous employee. I"m attempting to figure out why vaults aren't syncing between users.
My gut is telling me that all users are using stand alone versions (free?). Versions are all over the place. Users are attempting to access vaults located on a dropbox account. In 1password, i see there may have been a license key but the secret key is unknown.

If a stand alone version accesses a vault, can anyone else connect to it and it sync between the 2?
Thank You.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Server 2008
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi @katbacho5,

Thanks for writing in.

If a stand alone version accesses a vault, can anyone else connect to it and it sync between the 2?

Not by default, standalone vaults have to be manually set up for that. In the case of Dropbox, you'd have to configure Dropbox to share the folder with the vaults in it for everyone to see the shared folder. If the previous employee left and took his Dropbox account, you may not be able to see that folder until you re-enable the sharing again with your own Dropbox account. Here's how to do this with Dropbox; once Dropbox is configured, you can then have 1Password open the vault from within that shared folder and it should sync on its own.

However, I would strongly recommend checking out our 1Password Business service to help manage your company's vaults easier and consistently; you'd be able to help everyone stay on the same page as you'd have list of vaults and permissions you can manage (learn more here) and everyone will see the same thing. Dropbox + shared vaults are a bit of a hassle to deal with.

• katbacho5
    katbacho5
    Community Member
    Options

Mike, Thank You for your response. What is the difference between 1Password for Teams and 1Password for Business?

• MikeT
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi @katbacho5,

The 1Password business plan is more advanced with more features that tailors to larger enterprises such as audit reports, Active Directory integration, custom groups, etc; you can find the specific features on this page, scroll down to our comparison table: https://1password.com/teams/pricing/

• katbacho5
    katbacho5
    Community Member
    Options

Just to clarify, if business or Team is purchased, is it 'hosted' by 1Password or is it simply installed on workstations and user accounts created etc?

• katbacho5
    katbacho5
    Community Member
    Options

Also you indicated that there was a way to sync stand alone versions.. can you share that information?
    thank You.

• 1Password Business and Teams data is hosted on 1Password.com. All encryption and decryption happens locally, however. We only ever hold encrypted data on our servers and neither your Master Password nor your Secret Key is ever sent to us, so we never have the keys to unlock it. This of us as a replacement for Dropbox in this case, except our service is designed to sync 1Password data and nothing else, so we're able to simplify things like selectively sharing items, particularly among larger groups.

As for syncing standalone data, I believe Mike covered that here. You need to share the vault folder within Dropbox with others' Dropbox accounts so that each of them is able to access the data they need. Keep in mind that these folks will be accessing a folder that's actually part of a single person's Dropbox, however, so if you created a vault on your Dropbox, shared it with others, then later deleted your Dropbox account, ALL users would lose access to this data. It's important to ensure you have a plan in place for folks leaving if you choose this path – something that can be tough if you have multiple vaults hosted on different folks' Dropbox accounts. That's one reason we recommend using a Business or Teams account instead. With 1Password Business, you can have multiple owners and administrators so that if one of them happens to leave for any reason, you can remove them for the account and there are still others able to access all of your company's data and ensure it continues to be managed appropriately.

This discussion has been closed.