1P7 Windows - Not opening correct browser

Options

I just upgraded to ver. 7. My issue is that I am seeing a number of interactions with 1Pass opening the wrong browser.

If I use the 1Pass X applet inside Chrome then the website I chose from X opens in Chrome as it is supposed to do.

If I use the 1Pass Windows app and click on a link for a website using "open and fill" then Firefox is opened. Chrome is the default browser for my windows machine now. Used to be Firefox but not anymore. All web defaults for browsers are assigned to Chrome.

I also tried using the 1Pass Mini app in the system tray and it also wants to open links in Firefox instead of Chrome. 1Pass Mini shows "open in default browser" at the bottom of the Mini window.

I have to believe that a setting somewhere moving from 1Pass 4 to 1Pass 7 is locked down. Might need to go into RegEdit to change it but I figured I would ask you first.

Thanks in advance....

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 1,14
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro, Service Pack1
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:windows browser

Comments

• Hi @ValAJC123,

Thanks for reporting this.

In 1Password 7, we tell Windows to open that URL for you and Windows will open it in the default browser. We don't support opening in a specific browser at the moment.

Try resetting the default browser back to Internet Explorer and then back to Chrome like this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17435/windows-internet-explorer-make-default-browser

• ValAJC123
    ValAJC123
    Community Member
    Options

Didn't work initially using the instructions you sent but got it to work by going into the Admin account on my machine (I am in a corporate setting and have an admin account only used for installing and a separate login that is not an admin account for all other day to day usage).

I eventually got the default browser noticed by 1P7 under the main Admin account. Once I did that and had Chrome noticed inside 1P7 as a connected browser I found it changed on my non-admin account including Chrome showing inside 1P7 as a connected browser.

I did have trouble getting the desktop app to install on the non-admin account. Corporate policy requires admin rights to install any program and the installer kept putting the "blessed" install inside the admin "App Local" folder. I copied the 1Password folder over to the non-admin account to see if that worked and initially it didn't. Not sure how I eventually got it to work as for a while there the app wouldn't load. The icon on the task bar would highlight and appear to open then go back to basic icon. I think I eventually got it to work by opening Chrome and clicking the app icon inside chrome (base extension not 1P7 X as X worked but didn't see my local vault only the online vault.) When I clicked the base 1P7 extension icon in Chrome I then saw the app icon on the task bar blink a bunch of times as if I had clicked it then the desktop app open cleanly. Logged out and back in and the app works fine now. Here's hoping it works after a full restart too.

I know you are working on a different app installed with possibly easier installing under Corporate security, not need an admin pass, etc. Might pass to whomever is working on the installer app that you need to check that the installer works to put the main app and folders inside the main user "App Local" folder when installing for a non-admin user. Right now it appears that the installer puts everything into the Admin "App Local" folder even if you are trying to install on a non-admin account but system policies require the admin password to initiate the installation. I figured some of this out by picking "Show app folder in Explorer" option under the troubleshooting menu and it was pointing me to the App Local folder on the admin account instead of the App Local folder under the non-admin login. I expected the "Show in Explorer" would have worked under the non-admin and showed the non-admin App Local folder. I just checked and now when I select the "Show in Explorer" option it worked correctly and opened the non-admin App Local install of 1P7.

Feel free to reach out if you want more info on any of the above or something doesn't make sense. For now though I was able to get things to work. Fingers crossed for now.

Thanks.

• Hi @ValAJC123,

Right now it appears that the installer puts everything into the Admin "App Local" folder even if you are trying to install on a non-admin account

Thanks for reporting this. I can reproduce this, 1Password is supposed to install to the current environment's profile, not admin.

We'll investigate to fix this soon; there's a chance the automatic update will cause it to disappear since you need to be prompted for admin right.

ref: opw/opw#3775

• ValAJC123
    ValAJC123
    Community Member
    Options

So keep an eye on my end and expect a problem to occur? Any idea of a recommendation on an easy solution if it does occur? As I mentioned in my post above I sort of lucked on a solution to get things working. Any guess on a timeline for this to be fixed so I can plan on installing a fresh copy with a full new downloaded installer from your site? I know you might be guessing on a timeline but curious.

Thanks.

• Hi @ValAJC123,

I don't know the answer, we need to investigate this to figure out what's going on. Once you run it with admin rights, by default it will always use the admin profile as that's the environment you're running in unless you explicitly set it to run in the current environment.

We'll follow up as soon as we have more details.

This discussion has been closed.