My wife uses a different password on her computer than I do on mine.

Options

My wife uses the master password to open 1Password on her computer, but I use a different one on mine. I'm not sure how we got set up that way, I would like to use the same password on my computer. If I go to 1Password.com on my computer it shows the master password correctly, but that doesn't open the Chrome plugin on my computer, I have to use a different password. How can I fix this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:different passwords on different computers

Comments

• Hello, @DennisKaiser! When you unlock 1Password on your PC, do you see a red error banner at the bottom of your app? If you do, click that, enter your current Master Password in the sign-in form and click sign-in. Let me know if that gets your Master Password working across all devices.

If you don't see a banner, are you able to see everything you need when you sign in to 1Password.com? What about in your app – does the item count match what you see on the website? Do you see an "Offline Changes" section in your sidebar in your desktop app?

• DennisKaiser
    DennisKaiser
    Community Member
    Options

There is no error using the master password on 1Password.com. In doing a bit more experimenting, I think my problem is the Chrome extension uses a different password than 1Password.com. How do I get the Chrome extension to use the same master password?

• There won't be an error on 1Password.com, but you may see one in your desktop app – 1Password 7. Do you have a desktop app installed? If you do, you should find a shortcut in your Start menu. Normally, the Chrome extension should mirror the desktop app, so if it's using a different Master Password, the desktop app will as well and that's where you may see that error.

• DennisKaiser
    DennisKaiser
    Community Member
    Options

There is no error on the desktop app. It uses the same master password as the Chrome extension, neither of which is the "real" master password that is on my wife's computer and on 1password.com.

• DennisKaiser
    DennisKaiser
    Community Member
    Options

My computer has a different master password for 1password.com website than for the Chrome browser extension. How I can make them be the same password? There is no way to change the master password on the extension.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:how come 1password.com uses a different master password than the chrome extension?

• Hi @DennisKaiser,

In 1Password desktop app, can you click on the vault switcher on top left and tell me if you have a standalone vault below your 1Password account, it'll be listed under On this PC?

Prior to signing in to your 1Password account, did you import or open a standalone 1Password vault?

1Password app uses the master password from the initial vault or 1Password account you use, so if you add another 1Password account later, the master password for the app will remain the same until you remove the first vault or account. The quick resolution is to remove/sign out of the initial vault/account and 1Password will switch to the next master password you have.

• DennisKaiser
    DennisKaiser
    Community Member
    Options

It says I have 1 vault, but underneath are listed two, "Dennis & Crystal Kaiser" and "Personal". I never imported a vault to the best of my knowledge. It appears both vaults have the same logins inside. I also saw an "authentication error" when I was switching from one vault to the other. My wife's computer has the same setup - 1 vault, but the same two listed underneath.

• Hi @DennisKaiser,

Can you email us your diagnostics report, please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• DennisKaiser
    DennisKaiser
    Community Member
    Options

Email sent.

• Hi @DennisKaiser,

I don't see any emails yet, did you get an auto-reply from our BitBot yet? If yes, can you share the support ID# from there and I'll use that to find your email.

Thanks!

• DennisKaiser
    DennisKaiser
    Community Member
    Options

For your reference, your support ID is [#AWS-96771-456].

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DennisKaiser,

I have found your email on our side. Let's continue our conversation there. Thanks!

ref: AWS-96771-456

This discussion has been closed.