I cannot find my Secret Key within the 1Password application on Windows

Options

I am trying to install the Chrome extension, but I need to use a Secret Key to sign in. The support page for secret keys claims that I can find it in my application by selecting "Accounts" within the application, but I don't have an option to do that.

I have attached a screenshot from within the application with the preferences open, and I don't see any option for "Accounts" anywhere.

My software appears to be up to date, so am I missing something? Am I not looking in the right place? Is there another way to find the Secret Key? The support page says I can find it through my account online, but I have to use a secret key to sign into my account to view that, so I can't do that either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:secret key

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chandler_warren,

Sorry for the confusion!

The sign into an account option (with Secret Key and Sign-in address and QR code) that you see in 1Password X extension for Chrome is strictly for users that have signed up for the new subscription plan. It seems that you use a local vault in 1Password 4 for Windows, so you purchased a standalone license for 1Password 4 for Windows and that purchase did not include a 1Password account.

Am I right to understand that you used a 1Password extension in Chrome and it stopped working recently? If so, it means that you bumped into a known issue. 1Password 4 for Windows won’t fill or save in Chrome 72 or later, please check this article.

You'd need to either upgrade to 1Password 7 (please note that this is a separate purchase for the owners of 1Password 4), which is being actively developed and has the new signature, or use one of the other supported browsers (such as Brave, Firefox, Opera, etc.).

1Password 7 for Windows supports both standalone licenses and 1Password.com service but the best part about 1Password.com service is that you'll always get the future versions included automatically and access to all 1Password apps as well, no extra costs. If you sign up for 1Password account, you will have Sign-in address, Secret Key, and other credentials you need to use 1Password X or 1Password 7.

Let me know if you have any other questions, we are here to help. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• chandler_warren
    chandler_warren
    Community Member
    Options

Greg,

Thanks so much for the very prompt and thorough answer. Yes, the extension stopped working, so I went to uninstall and reinstall it. I will look into the options that you described.

Best,

• I'm delighted Greg was able to help, @chandler_warren, and on his behalf you are most welcome. If you have any questions about purchase options for 1Password 7, of course, we're always happy to help so ask away. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.