Question re: Backing Up A Standalone Ver 7 Vault on Windows

Options

I am using a standalone vault in Version 7. No syncing with 1Password nor Dropbox. I want to setup a 3rd party backup program to backup my 1Password data to a USB Drive every night. I was previously doing this with my install of version 4. With version 4 I would just backup my .agilekeychain folder and (I believe) that was enough to allow me to restore my 1Password data if my computer were to die (or be stolen of burned in a fire, etc...).

With version 7, do I need to backup both the .opvault folder AND the %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password folder... so that I have backups for both the "vault" and the sqlite database? Or is backing up the .opvault enough?

ie: could I take a .opvault file from a dead computer over to a brand new machine, do a fresh install of version 7, point it at my backup copy of the .opvault file, and I'd be good to go? Does the .opvault file contain all the requisite data necessary for the brand new sqlite db to completely recreate all the data that was on the machine the backup .opvault came from?

TIA!

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: None

Comments

• Hey, @SVC! My answer to your prior inquiry about sync may have somewhat answered this as well, but to be totally clear, you absolutely can restore from just an OPVault. Unless you drill down into the technical details of how data is stored and synced, OPVault and Agile Keychain work much the same way as Agile Keychain. You can open an OPVault on a brand new PC with a brand new install of 1Password 7 and 1Password will sync up your data from the OPVault populating your sqlite database in the process. :+1:

• SVC
    SVC
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the clarification Bundtkate! It all makes sense to me now and I have set up an appropriate backup system.

• :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.