Chrome extension stopped working on Mac OS

chsu
chsu
Community Member

This looks like the same problem as described on Windows, and just stopped working a few days ago. Is there any way to get it working again for Mac?

Thanks-

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 72.0.3626.109
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chsu: 1Password 6 was discontinued last year, so it won't be updated for OS and browser changes. However, I'm not having any trouble using it with Chrome. Can you be more specific about the problem you're experiencing?

• chsu
    chsu
    Community Member

Until a few days ago, I was able to press the 1Password Chrome extension button and use the extension normally.

Now it pauses for several seconds before opening a new tab with the text: "Looking for the 1Password app
    The 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly." It also has a popup asking me to open the app. I usually press the button to open the app which pops up momentarily. Then an error message shows up (whether or not I press anything on the popup). I've attached a screenshot of all 3 things.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chsu: What happens when you click "Open 1Password"?

• chsu
    chsu
    Community Member

If I click 'Open 1Password' (which I usually try doing), the full app pops up for a split second, then the 'Couldn't connect to 1Password' still shows up.

BTW, the main app and the icon at the top of the screen both work fine. It's just the Chrome extension that does this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@chsu - can you tell us what specific version of macOS you're using? I also note from your first post that you say you're using version 6.7 of 1Password for Mac, is that correct? Is there a reason you haven't updated 1Password to the final update of version 6, which is 6.8.9? If you're still using 6.7, that version is nearly two years old at this point; please update to 6.8.9, then remove the 1Password extension from Chrome, restart Chrome, and visit the Chrome store to install a new copy of the 1Password extension for Chrome. Let us know how that works for you.

• chsu
    chsu
    Community Member

Thanks, Lars. I've got a really old MBP on El Capitan. I didn't realize there was an update to 6.8.9 since it previously only updated from the Mac App Store, and there has been no update available there. I upgraded to 6.8.9 this morning from the website, reinstalled the Chrome extension, and it's working again! :-) Thanks a bunch for the help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@chsu - awesome! I'm glad to hear you're back up and running. :)

• jimcintosh
    jimcintosh
    Community Member

I'm also having problems opening 1Password from Chrome.

MacOS: 10.14.3 (Mojave)
    Chrome: 72.0.3626.121
    1Password: 7.2.4 (70204000)
    Chrome Extension: 4.7.3.90

When I click on the icon, I get a strange box saying:

Please help. What should I do?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

@jimcintosh: That indicates that 1Password cannot connect to Chrome. Please check for updates in Chrome and 1Password, and then restart your Mac and let me know what happens.

• jimcintosh
    jimcintosh
    Community Member

MacOS: 10.14.3 (Mojave)
    Chrome: 72.0.3626.121
    1Password: 7.2.4 (70204000)
    Chrome Extension: 4.7.3.90

Everything was at the current level. Rebooting the whole machine did the trick. Weird, huh?

Thanks for your quick reply.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! It's usually impossible to know for sure in these cases, but what we see most often is that something gets hung up with the browser's update process, which invalidates its signature, which prevents 1Password from connecting to it since it cannot be verified. Anyway, glad that did the trick. Thanks for the update! :)

• devidave
    devidave
    Community Member

hi . i am having a similar problem with chrome extension. so i have tried advice from above to update 1password 6.7.1. but i get in a loop.
    it says download update, then says install and relaunch and all that happens is it just downloads again, i cant get itto install latest version/ i have imac running mac os sierra 10.12.6. can you help please dave

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @devidave! Welcome to the forum!

This is very likely because your 1Password app is very old that the automatic updater is failing. Are you currently using the Mac App Store version of the app, or did you download it directly from our website?

Depending on this, I can send you instructions on how to update it to the latest version :)

• devidave
    devidave
    Community Member

hi . i am having a similar problem with chrome extension. so i have tried advice from above to update 1password 6.7.1. but i get in a loop.
    it says download update, then says install and relaunch and all that happens is it just downloads again, i cant get itto install latest version/ i have imac running mac os sierra 10.12.6. can you help please dave

• devidave
    devidave
    Community Member

it was from 1password website
    https://1password.com/downloads/
    around dec 2017
    thanks
    dave
    plus i think i am now running updated version of chrome extension which says you need mac app version to work, so how do i install correct extension to work with 1 password 6

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@devidave: What you have is really outdated. If you're going to use 1Password 6 (and not upgrading to 1Password 7 at this time -- though we recommend it), you'll need to install the most recent version from the bottom of our downloads page:

https://1password.com/downloads/

And then also install the 1Password desktop extension in Chrome (not 1Password X, as that requires a 1Password membership, which includes all the apps and updates):

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

You can find a guide to using it here:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

And if you have any questions along the way, let me know. :)

This discussion has been closed.