Any reason to continue using Dropbox for Sync if now have account?

mattpwc
mattpwc
Community Member

I'm a long time 1P user and just upgraded from and individual license to a family account where I'm paying monthly. I moved all my items from my 1P file on dropbox to my private folder under my account. Since using dropbox is a bit more complicated in setting up additional devices is there any reason why I wouldn't just remove the dropbox vault at this point? What advantages are there in continuing using dropbox for syncing (if any)? Also, if my internet goes down and all my items are in my private folder under my account will I still have access to them?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mattpwc

1Password keeps a local cache of all 1Password membership vaults so even if you are offline, or on the rare occasion that the 1Password.com service is down, you'll still be able to access your data. You can test this by disconnecting your computer from the internet by turning off WiFi and/or disconnecting the ethernet cable. There is no need to continue using Dropbox for 1Password once you've migrated your data to membership vault(s), and in fact we recommend removing any standalone vaults (including ones synced via Dropbox) because they tend to cause more problems than good once you're in that position. Instructions on removing them can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

This should be completed on each of your devices.
    (you can skip the first step if you're already logged in)

Before removing the Primary vault I'd recommend:

1. Make sure you can log in at https://my.1password.com/ as the Master Password you use there is the same one you'll need to use to unlock the 1Password apps after removing said vault
    2. Verify on my.1password.com that all of your data is available to you
    3. Print your Emergency Kit, if you haven't already: Get to know your Emergency Kit

I see you've also emailed us with a few questions, including these ones. To avoid duplicating efforts I'm going to close the following email tickets:

• HXV-76831-598
    • CBW-17963-216

I do see you also emailed us about another question that is not presented here, so I'll leave that one open for our Windows team to respond to. :) I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Thanks!

Ben

• mattpwc
    mattpwc
    Community Member

Thanks Ben! What about security issues with now moving my data away from DropBox and onto your hosting environment? I would think 1P might be more of a target for data than DropBox since virtually all of your data is password related.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

For what it's worth, I don't really use it for 1Password anymore, but Dropbox is incredibly useful to me for syncing other stuff.

Regarding security, since we don't have any of the "keys" to 1Password users' data, it's less exciting than you might think. Your Master Password is never transmitted to us, and 1Password accounts have the added security of the Secret Key expressly to protect users in case encrypted data is stolen from us. They would need to get both that and the Master Password from you in order to be able to decrypt it.

• Indeed. 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted and does not rely on the sync solution chosen for your data's security. You can read more about the 1Password security model here:

About the 1Password security model

If you're interested in the nitty gritty (technical details) they are available in our white paper:

1Password Security Design White Paper

Ben

• mattpwc
    mattpwc
    Community Member

Thanks Ben and Brenty. That's really good to know!

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• mattpwc
    mattpwc
    Community Member

If I'm only storing items in my account which Chrome extension is best to use? 1Password (Desktop app required) or 1Password X? Also what exactly is 1Password X? Is it a separate product or just the browser extension between 1Password apps?

• 1Password X was designed for folks who could not, for whatever reason, have the desktop application installed. That said, it is a very capable way to interact with your 1Password data. It is really going to come down to a matter of preference. Personally I use 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password X most of the time, but the "default" route is going to be 1Password 7 with the "1Password (Desktop app required)" extension. That's probably how I'd recommend getting started. :+1:

Ben

• mattpwc
    mattpwc
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. I have the 1Password (Desktop app required) currently installed but it looked like 1Password X had more features when browsing the web such as the 1P icon next to the login fields on other websites?

• They do have slightly different features. On the whole the "traditional" extension is more capable (e.g. editing is possible directly inside the extension, whereas 1Password X will take you to the 1Password.com web interface to edit). But, as I say, it is really a matter of preference. Both will fill and save your 1Password data, which of course is the core function of the browser extension. If you'd like you can actually install them side-by-side to see which you like better.

Ben

• mattpwc
    mattpwc
    Community Member

Thanks Ben, that makes sense.

• mattpwc
    mattpwc
    Community Member

Ben, while we're on a role I was wondering why the Ctrl+R shortcut doesn't work with Windows 1P 7.3.657? Used to work with version 4 and noticed it's still listed as the shortcut in your support docs for revealing the password on the fly.

• That one I unfortunately don't know, but I'll be sure someone from our Windows team loops back with you either here or in your email on the subject. :+1:

Ben

• mattpwc
    mattpwc
    Community Member

Thanks Ben!

• In speaking with one of my colleagues they mentioned that for Ctrl+R to work the field you want to reveal has to be in focus (either by tabbing to it or clicking on it). If the field you want to reveal is selected when you press Ctrl+R does it work properly? Alternatively pressing Ctrl+Alt should reveal all hidden fields.

Please let me know.

Ben

• mattpwc
    mattpwc
    Community Member

So Ctrl+R does work if you tab to it but doesn't work if you just click on the password field as clicking on it doesn't technically bring the field in focus. However, the idea is to save time so by the time you click tab several times to get the password field it makes more sense to just use Ctrl+Alt which works regardless of where you're focused. You might want to update your support documentation to reflect this as under previous versions of 1P Ctrl+R worked regardless of where you were focused. You just had to have the window in the forefront. I'll use Ctrl+Alt going forward. Thanks.

• You're very welcome. That is what we meant in the documentation by "selected," but I and the Windows team seem to agree that this isn't necessarily very obvious. We'll see what we can do to improve. Thanks!

Ben

• mattpwc
    mattpwc
    Community Member

I got my wife set up and all is working well. However, I'd like to confirm that if we're putting previous items each of us had in our private folders into our shared folder we should delete the copy of the private item once the item is in the shared folder? Otherwise, if we accidentally use the private item and edit it, the corresponding shared item will not be updated? Please confirm.

• gordcook
    gordcook
    Community Member

@mattpwc , I'm a new Families user, myself, and I had to do the same thing. There is a shortcut to what I believe you are trying to accomplish: You can move an item from one vault to another.

In the app (not the browser),
    1. right click on the item in your private vault,
    2. hover over "Share >",
    3. hover over your shared vault "Shared >",
    4. click Move.

No need to copy/paste into a new entry, no need to delete the item from the private vault afterward. It's basically all one step. I hope that helps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I got my wife set up and all is working well. However, I'd like to confirm that if we're putting previous items each of us had in our private folders into our shared folder we should delete the copy of the private item once the item is in the shared folder? Otherwise, if we accidentally use the private item and edit it, the corresponding shared item will not be updated? Please confirm.

@mattpwc: Confirmed. It can be really confusing to have multiple copies of the same item in different places, especially if you make changes to one and they diverge over time. If you both have access to them in a Shared vault, deleting other copies would be best. :)

This discussion has been closed.