How to delete old backups from the iOS App?

Options
peacekeeper
peacekeeper
Community Member

Dear 1Password-Team,

I recently migrated from a standalone vault to a Subscription (10 days of individual subscription, then family :lol:) and realized there is still a menu option available that lets me restore the iOS App from a backup. Out of curiosity I sent myself the diagnostics report and it lists a backup from the last day I was using a standalone vault in Dropbox. The backup is also made available via iTunes File Sharing. Since these "old-style" backups are no longer necessary with a subscription, is there a way to delete this old backup or will it be deleted automatically in the future? It feels a bit like a 'lose end' security wise and I am a little paranoid ;)...

Thanks in advance for your reply!

1Password Version: 7.27
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1.4
Sync Type: 1Password-Account

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @peacekeeper

The backups would be encrypted with whatever Master Password you were using at the time they were created, but I can understand wanting to clean them up (for the sake of doing so, if for no other reason). Probably the easiest way to do that is going to be to:

1. Make sure you have your Emergency Kit handy: Get to know your Emergency Kit
    2. Verify you can log in at https://my.1password.com/
    3. Delete 1Password for iOS from your device(s) -- this will erase all data contained within, including the old backups
    4. Reinstall 1Password for iOS: 1Password on the iTunes App Store
    5. Log back in to your 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben

thanks for the very quick reply! I was hoping I just missed a button but reinstalling is okay as well. Since the accounts sync like a charm it's not a big task. I'm going to do it eventually.

If I had assumed you guys would even consider storing an automatic backup unencrypted on my device I would have never bought your product! :) My wanting to delete them comes mainly from me being overcautios, which has served me well over the years... :glasses:

As far as I remember on the desktop app there was the option to see/delete the old backups. Maybe that could be added to the mobile versions as well if the developers have room for it :).

Thanks a lot again for your quick reply and have a great week.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2019
    Options

I was hoping I just missed a button

There is: 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Erase all 1Password data, but I generally recommend a reinstall instead of that. Whichever works for you, though. :)

As far as I remember on the desktop app there was the option to see/delete the old backups. Maybe that could be added to the mobile versions as well if the developers have room for it :).

Considering this is managed entirely differently in 1Password.com, and 1Password.com is the future, I don't see this being a big priority. But I'll mention it to the team all the same. :+1:

Thanks a lot again for your quick reply and have a great week.

You're very welcome, and same to you.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.