Upgrading to new 1Password

Options

I've been stuck in the past, in so far as I'm using the licensed version of 1Password on my work Windows machine (Version 4). I'm using 1password version 6 on my MAC laptop, and whatever version installs from the app store on the iphone.

With Chrome browser breaking the connection to version 4 (it doesn't fill reliably anymore using the CTRL+) I've decided it is time to move off of version 4 and look at version 7.

I'm wondering if the only way to get it out of "VIEW" mode is to pay for another upgrade (US$50... which means almost CAD$70 for me).

I'm not really interested in hosting my passwords with the 1Password subscription online...

So what is the best way to get the new version into EDIT mode? Can I upgrade my version 6 license?

Or is there a good "discount" for the online version for those of us that have bought and used 1Password for a really really long time?

Thanks!

Jonathan

1Password Version: 4, 6, 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7, 10, Mac OS X 10.14.3, and iOS 12.1.4
Sync Type: Dropbox currently

Comments

• Hello, @Mirth, and I'm so glad to hear you're thinking about switching to 1Password 7. It has served us and our customer quite well, but you're right that it's getting a bit older and when we released 1Password 7, we felt it was high time our Windows customers have an new and improved option. I hope you're enjoying it thus far, even if you haven't had a chance to get the full experience yet.

1Password 7 does require a new license, so you'd need to purchase one to get out of read-only mode. It's discounted right now, actually, at $49.99. The full price will ultimately be $64.99. Although you're not required to have an existing license to get this discount, the intent was to ensure all of our current customers could snag the new version at a lower cost. Early adopters of new versions tend to be those who have already been using 1Password, so our hope has been that y'all will be able to get on board before the price increases without having to fuss over "proving" you purchased a prior version.

I know you mentioned you're not interested in our hosted service, but I do feel it's worth noting that upgrades are included with a 1Password membership. Not only 1Password 7 for Windows, but 1Password 7 for Mac, as well as future upgrades. If you prefer to keep up-to-date generally, it's a benefit worth considering particularly if you use 1Password on a lot of devices from different ecosystems. If it's something you'd consider, I'd suggest reaching out to sales@1password.com to ask about a discount. We don't have anything official running that I'm aware of, but the sales team is the best resource there and may be able to help you out. :+1:

• math
    math
    Community Member
    Options

If it's something you'd consider, I'd suggest reaching out to sales@1password.com to ask about a discount. We don't have anything official running that I'm aware of, but the sales team is the best resource there and may be able to help you out.

I did write to you three times already but didn't get any response about the discount.

• Thanks, @math! I was able to track down your e-mail and it looks one of my teammates has been in touch since your post, so I'll eave you in his capable hands. :+1:

ref: PVK-65832-986

• math
    math
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, I got the response and was offered 20% off the regular membership price for the first year only! :(
    I’m really not interested in paying for membership kind of regular fee but rather in one time payment.
    But still, 20% off is really not fair to offer to someone who already paid for actually the same functionality, mainly possibility of storing passwords with sync capabilities.

• math
    math
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, I got the response and was offered 20% off the regular membership price for the first year only! :(
    I’m really not interested in paying for membership kind of regular fee but rather in one time payment.
    But still, 20% off is really not fair to offer to someone who already paid for actually the same functionality, mainly possibility of storing passwords with sync capabilities.

Thankfully I still have iOS version which I paid for too which is still fully functional and can use desktop version v7 in read only mode.
    The suggested prices and the fact that I would have to pay this time for an upgrade and who knows how many times more is unacceptable.

• I know paid upgrades stink in general, @math. In reality, we don't like them either. Any time a lot of folks are upgrading at the same time, it's a lot of extra work for us, too, and I feel like I have to up my beer and pizza budget every time we release one. :wink: All the same, building and supporting 1Password takes a lot of hard work from over 100 people now, so avoiding paid upgrade entirely wouldn't be sustainable. We'd reach a point where we just couldn't keep going, so we have to ask for them from time to time.

We also have to set a price point that works for our customers but also works to keep us going. To help us do that, we try to make sure we add genuine value for our customers with each paid upgrade. Rather than asking y'all to pay for a fresh coat of paint, we added things to 1Password 7 we felt actually increased the value of 1Password, like Watchtower 2.0, support for multiple vaults open at once, and the addition of Windows Hello unlocking. Certainly there will be times we miss that mark for some folks. Not everyone sees value in the same things and a feature I'm thrilled about may bore you and that's totally normal. When that happens it's certainly important for us to keep that in mind and consider that feedback when choosing features to add and setting prices in the future, but there's a delicate balance to be struck and we need to accept that nothing we do is likely to make everyone happy. One of my professors always used to say that if everyone leaving a negotiation is a bit unhappy, you've probably made a good deal. Kind of a depressing way to think about it, but he's not wrong. It doesn't apply perfectly as I like to think we're happy so long as our customers are enjoying what we've built, but a useful analogy all the same. I do hope you reconsider upgrading down the road, but for now I hope what you've got set up works well for you and of course, we're still here to help when you need it. :chuffed:

• math
    math
    Community Member
    Options

I started to think about update to v7 only when chrome plugin for v4 stopped working and I found out it won’t be fixed/improved. I didn’t really need any of this new staff v7 offers now and v4 was quite enough for me.

I surely understand what you are saying to me and I know this practice, eg. at some point I had to pay for a new version of Windows since support for the old one was ended. This and what Agilebits is doing is justified.

I would need some kind of plan from your side that when I but v7 license it would tell me when would I be ‘forced’ to pay again for a new version.
    Or in other words, who will give me a guarantee that v8 will not be another ‘major’ release and whatever chrome/Firefox/any changes you will say that it’s not worth updating v7 and I’d need to buy v8 to have 1Password fully working again.

• I can't give you that kind of guarantee, @math. Our goal is always to ensure that each version of 1Password has a reasonable lifespan, but I can't predict when in the future the same might happen to 1Password 7. 1Password 4 kept going for 5 years and some versions have sustained themselves even longer, but continuing to update older versions in perpetuity just isn't sustainable. We have to pick a point at which we're going to stop and regardless of when that happens, there will come a point after when things start breaking. When that happens is only within our control to the extent that if we so happen to see something coming before we make that decision we can hold off until that change happens to keep things going longer. We actually did just that with 1Password 4. We hand't made a major update to it in some time, but when we saw that Firefox was going to start requiring use of its new WebExtensions in 2017, we decided it was best to update 1Password 4 to support that and similar changes coming to Chrome. That alone kept 1Password 4 going another almost two years. 1Password doesn't exist in isolation and will always need compatibility updates, so the best we can do is make that effort to ensure each version lasts a reasonable amount of time and hope for longer more often than not.

This discussion has been closed.