Need Help Please RE: 1Password Locking Up Due To Backup Location Unavailable

Options
Wildcat_1
Wildcat_1
Community Member

Hi there, long time user and love 1PSW but I need some help with a bad experience when using standalone 1PSW with backups. Specifically I have the standalone Mac version backing up to a NAS without issue. However when I connect the machine to VPN (work etc) the backup continues to hunt for the NAS drive (no longer available due to the VPN tunnel) and literally freezes/locks up the app indefinitely.

Therefore in the short term, how do I turn off backups or at least change the location ? Mid to long term, can there be an option built in that intelligently detects the backup location is not currently available, lets you postpone (set time or reminder) the backup and NOT lock the app up so its unusable ? It really does cause issues not to be able to get into the app or unfreeze it when using a location purposefully separate from the machine its running on but would not be available when you switch connections (in my case VPN).

Thanks for the help with this

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wildcat_1 - I'm sorry for the trouble, but I also think we might need to clarify our terms first. You said "backup," but standalone 1Password makes its actual backups to the user's Library folder (actual location depends on what version of 1Password and whether you got it from us or the Mac App Store, but it's not user-adjustable). Did you mean you were syncing to a NAS? If so, that's a specifically not-recommended sync setup, for the reasons listed there, and others. You've just run into one, in fact.

I'd recommend you use a local folder for sync (if that solves your needs), or perhaps either Dropbox or iCloud. We're not able to provide support for syncing a network-attached folder. Is there a reason you're using the NAS instead of a local folder?

• Wildcat_1
    Wildcat_1
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars thanks for your reply which actually did cause me to rethink / clarify the issue. So the good news is NO I am not using the NAS for backup, they are in fact backed up to the group containers sub structure as you mentioned. Similarly there is NO syncing for this particular use case, therefore everything local.

The bad news is the issue is definitely present and where it seems to be happening (not sure why) is that I have a NAS drive mounted to the laptop. I then connect to VPN and of course expect the NAS drive (on local LAN) not to be available. However in the following prompts that Mac OS Mojave gives you stating that the NAS drive is no longer available etc it seems to lock out 1Password, not sure why based on what I mentioned above. If you click on 1Password (even when already open and unlocked) it sits there forever until it finally lets you back into the app, then when you click on a login it will beach ball for a few minutes, click somewhere else in 1Password and locks again (beach ball). Again with no syncing going on and everything being local (as confirmed above) I am not sure why the unavailability of a NAS drive is causing 1Password to lock up.

The only other good news is that I can replicate this over and over.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wildcat_1 - OK, now I'm officially confused. You're not backing up to the NAS (I knew that already), but you're ALSO not syncing to the NAS? If you open 1Password's Preferences > Sync, what do you see listed as the sync method there?

• Wildcat_1
    Wildcat_1
    Community Member
    Options

None

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wildcat_1 - if you're not syncing your 1Password data anywhere, then I don't think this one's within our purview to address. Can you maybe grab a process sample for us, when it's in "beachballing" status? Open Activity Monitor and click the gear icon, then choose "Sample Process" from the drop-down. Once you've got it, mail it to support+forums@agilebits.com. You'll get an auto-reply from our BitBot assistant which will include a Support ID. Post that number here so we can track it down. This won't mean that we can definitely solve this or even necessarily be able to see anything relevant. But it might. And if it doesn't contain useful data, then that would indicate that whatever's going on isn't something we can even see, let alone address.

• Wildcat_1
    Wildcat_1
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars appreciate the reply. Yes, agree this doesn't on the surface sound like a 1PSW issue directly however it is interesting to me that everything else continues to work in the scenario but 1PSW locks up, not sure why as again nothing in 1PSW is pointing towards a NAS or network drive that is no longer available when connecting to the VPN

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wildcat_1 - the only other thing I can suggest to you is to restart everything - your NAS, Time Machine and/or any other backup software you have set to use the NAS as a destination, then Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and delete 1Password. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash, then restart your Mac. After it restarts, visit our downloads page and get a fresh copy of the latest version (7.2.5, just released today) and install it. Let me know if that makes any difference.

• Wildcat_1
    Wildcat_1
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars, will do. To confirm, if I do completely uninstall as you mention above, are my backups still held in place locally so I can at least restore those ? Thanks again

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wildcat_1 - yes. 1Password's data resides in the Group Containers folders, as you noticed. That doesn't get deleted when you delete the application itself. To make sure I'm being clear here, I'm not 100% certain the above will solve the issue...but it might.

• Wildcat_1
    Wildcat_1
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I tried that as well as the latest beta's and apart from a new issue with the new beta (crashes on launch), all versions show the same behavior. Namely, work fine when off VPN, connect and becomes non-responsive for 1PSW only. I captured sample process after connecting (goes non responsive) and after disconnecting (all returns to normal) and have mailed those over. Will post the support ticket ID when I see it .Thanks

• Wildcat_1
    Wildcat_1
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars here is the ticket ID - #NAV-84168-243

• Wildcat_1
    Wildcat_1
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars, just checking in to see if you or team had chance to review the sample process captures and whether you were able to see the issue I reported ? Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wildcat_1 - we did. There wasn't anything in particular that was conclusive there -- though I appreciate you taking the time to send them. What version of Cisco's VPN client are you using? You should be on at least 4.4.2039. 1Password doesn't do anything truly unusual; we use standard frameworks to do standard things. If the setup works without the VPN connected by doesn't when connected, that sounds like something you'd want to investigate with either your network administrator or with Cisco.

This discussion has been closed.