What are the pros and cons of using browser extension to your Windows app Vs 1Password X?

Besides the fundamental difference that for X the windows app is not required, from the performance, usability, and, stability perspective what is the recommendations for users to use, browser extensions or 1Password X?

The assumption is windows app 1Password 7 is always available on the machine.

Thanks,
Abhijit

1Password Version: 7.3.661
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• I don't know that I'd have an overarching recommendation, @Abhijit. The experience between the two extensions is really quite different and what's going to work best for you depends on your preferences. Personally, I end up using the companion extension more often since I spend more time helping folks who use it over 1Password X, but I actually prefer 1Password X and use it whenever I'm not working. I find it easier to navigate with the keyboard and really like how it handles OTP filling, so I've found I prefer it. That said, I do still miss using Ctrl + \ to fill and the current lack of Hello unlocking can make me sad at times too, so I could go either way if I start thinking about it. I think the best advice I can give is to just give both a try and make sure you allow for an adjustment period when you switch. It can take some time to change habits when you swap between them, so it's easy to dismiss whichever you try second. Despite that, there's no substitute for giving both a go – only you know which will work best for you. :chuffed:

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Do we have the comparison chart for the two options including functionalities offered? Or we recommend users to use both first and then only make a decision. Any decision support? I assume we will have the video's showing how both work to catch the differences visually.

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

I just found out one difference as stated in the post "Exclude Domain Name from 1Password capabilities" that you can not exclude Domains in X but in windows app browser extension.

This definitely calls for the functionality different table between the two.

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• Before I worked here, @Abhijit, I worked in a law office, so I love a good table as much as anyone, but they do have their shortcomings. For one, they miss nuances. To use your example, 1Password X doesn't allow excluding domains, but part of the reason for that is its autosave prompts work differently. 1Password X will only offer to save a new Login for you if you fill a suggested or generated password. If you type one manually, it ignores it and assumes you don't want to save it. Of course, for domains where we don't want 1Password saving or filling for us, we'll be typing in our passwords, so 1Password X will necessarily skip saving on that site making an explicit exclusion list a bit redundant.

Ultimately, which you'll prefer will depend entirely on your preferences. At this point, there's little (if anything) that the companion extension can do that 1Password X can't. Unless you need to avoid a desktop app, it's not a question of features so much as which filling experience best fits your expectations and workflow. :+1:

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Thanks Bundtkate!

I understand it is not pressing requirement. Last para of your note is very helpful.
    BTW do we have video's for both the options?

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Abhijit,

You can learn more about 1Password X here. There is a video that might be helpful for you, so please check it out.

As for our standard extension, please use the following guides to understand it better:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

Change your passwords and make them stronger

There are no videos, but these are comprehensive step by step guides and they are super helpful. Let us know if this is what you are asking for. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Thank you so much Greg! You are a rockstar!!

Abhijit

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Abhijit: You are always welcome! :chuffed: :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.