Any plans to support Brave browser? [Supported in 1Password 7; not for 1Password 6]

Options
rlf
rlf
Community Member
edited August 2019 in Mac

Does Agilebits have any plans to create a 1Password plugin for the Brave browser? I haven't opened Chrome for months and am using Safari and Firefox less and less these days because I'm sick and tired of waiting for the pages to load as each website dumps as much analytics code into their pages as they can. I'm also tired of seeing products and services I've looked at "follow me" around as I browser the Internet. The Brave browser (brave.com) gets rid of all of this cruft so pages load instantly and I'm now using it about 75% of the time. I'd love to see 1Password support this great browser. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @rlf,

You would install the Chrome extension into Brave, there is no need for a separate browser extension specifically for Brave.

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I didn't know that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlf - glad rudy was able to help! :)

• amjo
    amjo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I have installed the chrome extension, but unfortunately it doesn't work. The 1Password icon only keeps flashing and when I open the background page, I see this error and warnings:

Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received.
    global.min.js:84 Finished loading auth configuration. Processing callbacks.
    global.min.js:247 [CHROME:NM] Port <[object Object]> disconnected: Native host has exited.
    global.min.js:100 [AGENT] Connection [object NativeMessagingConnection] disconnected.
    connectionDidDisconnect.fc @ global.min.js:100
    global.min.js:247 1Password detected a high number of disconnections from the browser extension to the main application between Mon Feb 25 2019 22:04:18 GMT+0100 (Mitteleuropäische Normalzeit) and Mon Feb 25 2019 22:06:25 GMT+0100 (Mitteleuropäische Normalzeit)
    a @ global.min.js:247
    global.min.js:100 [AGENT] Connection [object NativeMessagingConnection] disconnected.
    connectionDidDisconnect.fc @ global.min.js:100

I'm on macOS 10.14
    Brave version 0.60.45
    1Password version 6.8.9
    Extension version 4.7.3.90

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Options

Greetings @amjo,

Brave went through some significant changes roughly 6 months or so after development on 1Password 6 ceased. The downside was it included changes to the signing certificate and as a result 1Password 6 can no longer verify that the current versions of Brave are legitimate. 1Password 7 was updated with the new details but this does represent the first lost browser for 1Password 6. There isn't anything that can be done I'm afraid to make 1Password 6 work with Brave, only considering a move to 1Password 7 would make any difference. It is a paid upgrade though for those not already with a 1Password account. If you have any questions about any of this please let us know.

• Afrowave
    Afrowave
    Community Member
    Options

Hi 1passwordies :)

I am on an old Mac Pro(2,1) on MacOS X 10.11.6 and on 1password 6.8.9. I have a 1password subscription that I use on two Android phones, a Pixel and a Nokia 2.1. I also have a old Macbook Pro(5,5) also on MacOS X 10.11.6. Both Macs are no longer supported but 1password works flawlessly on the Chrome, Firefox and Safari browsers.

So I have not transitioned to macOS yet and now I would like to use 1password on the Brave browser. But it seems I must move to macOS 10.12+ to be able to use 1password 7.

I would like to confirm this is the only way to get Brave to work for me is to use 1password 7 and thus, for me, buy a new Mac.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Afrowave! That's quite a setup. :) Unfortunately, if things are as you say, then your suspicion is correct. Since 1Password 6 for Mac had already moved to legacy status (receiving no further updates for compatibility, etc) before Brave went through their changes, 1Password 6 for Mac expects to see a different cert than the one the new Brave browser presents, so it is rejected. Your choices at this point are:

• if you insist on using Brave and 1Password, buy a new Mac that can run at least macOS 10.12 (“Sierra”) or later, which is required for 1Password 7 for Mac, which will validate Brave's current releases, or
    • use a different browser.

I don't want to suggest to you which of those is the "right" option, since I think it's a matter of personal opinion. I'd just note that the first of those seems to be a significant amount of both effort and expense (a new Mac? Well over $1K - twice, if you have both a Mac Pro and an older MacBook Pro), plus the cost of upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac, all just to be able to use a specific browser.

Our recommendation as a security company is always going to be to use the current versions of everything, as there are often security updates which older versions of hardware, software and OS simply don't receive, which makes them increasingly unstable or even dangerously insecure to use as time goes on. So from a purely security standpoint, our recommendation would be to go the first route, buy two new Macs and 1Password 7 for Mac, and use whatever combination of browsers you'd like, as 1Password 7 for Mac has support for all the current major browsers. But from a practical standpoint, if you have alternate reasons why you've remained on older hardware and versions of macOS, it would seem much easier to simply switch to Chrome or Firefox than it would to go to all that effort and expense just to use Brave. However, it's your call, of course. Let us know if you have any further questions.

• treeleaf20
    treeleaf20
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Is there a setting that I need to set for it to automatically popup the 1Password for a site. In chrome, if I click on a username/password field 1Password pops up and allows me to click on it my credentials right there. In Brave, I need to go up to the extension and click Fill for it to work. I don't see any errors but curious if I can get the same functionality in Brave as in Chrome. I'm on Mac Mojave version 10.14.5 and 1Password 7.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @treeleaf20

Please make sure you're installing the 1Password X extension, not the traditional desktop extension, if you want 1Password to integrate directly into the form fields.

Ben

• treeleaf20
    treeleaf20
    Community Member
    Options

Good call, thanks Ben. Works perfectly now.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• botnik
    botnik
    Community Member
    Options

I'm just checking Brave out now. Looks nice. I have been a 1Password user for many versions and am currently using version 6. Is there a way to move to the current version of 1Password without moving to the subscription pricing?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@botnik - If you're still using 1Password 6 for Mac, you won't be able to use Brave because the Brave team changed their code signature. So, since it no longer matches what version 6 of 1Password expects to see, 1Password will refuse to save or fill in the current Brave. You'll need the current version of 1Password for Mac (7.3) to work with the current Brave. In regard to your question, yes, we still sell standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac for those who understand what they are and know they want them -- though we definitely recommend 1Password membership for most users, for a variety of reasons.

Either way, all you need to do is install 1Password 7 for Mac from our downloads page and then on first run, you'll get the purchase options screen, where you can choose how you'd like to proceed:

Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• csalvato
    csalvato
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Do I need to use 1password X? I don't prefer the 1password X extension because it does not integrate with Touch ID and does not seem to support a Dark Mode.

But the 1Password extension (desktop app required version does not fill form fields on Brave. Any advice?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @csalvato

What version of 1Password for Mac do you have installed?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.