Solution if you have a problem with 1Password Extension and Google Chrome

Despite complaints from users, AgileBits doesn't want to update 1Paswword extension for Google Chrome. What a shame !!!
Google Chrome 72 or later doesn't work !
1) First solution : use FireFox instead of Google Chrome
2) Second solution : uninstall Google Chrome and install an old version of Google Chrome (71.x) : you'll find it there : https://www.slimjet.com/chrome/google-chrome-old-version.php
Then you'll need to stop Google Update services (you'll find it on web)

I hope AgileBits will change its policy soon ! We have paid for it !

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

Welcome to the forum, @GPMP! I understand your frustration, but we've never warranted, implied or promised that a specific version of 1Password would continue to be upgraded forever. In fact, that's not how most software works: users buy a license for the current version, with the understanding that as the hardware, OS and related technologies (browsers, etc) move on, so will the software they purchased, to a new version. To be clear, this is happening because some users have upgraded Chrome as soon as it was available. If you upgrade 1Password as well, to the current version, you'll absolutely be able to use the most up-to-date version of all major browsers 1Password for Windows works in/with. But just as we don't warrant the original version 1Password 1 for Windows will keep receiving compatibility updates, now that 1Password 4 for Windows is in legacy mode, it won't be receiving them either. I know that's not the answer you were hoping for, but I hope it's a bit more clear now.

As you suggested you can use another browser if you want to continue using 1Password 4 for Windows (though our recommendation would be to use the most-current version of everything - OS, browser, and 1Password). We definitely do NOT recommend you downgrade your version of Chrome, because often there are security updates which patch vulnerabilities that have emerged since that version was current. Let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

• I too purchased version 4 way back when. I paid $50.00 and I think it is called a family version. My wife and I both use 1Password and each of us have several devices. We sync via Dropbox. Now I'm told the only way for us to continue using 1Password the way we have in the past is to buy a family subscription at $4.99 a month, paid annually $59.88. Seems like the price increase is a little drastic!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@sturpe: If you paid 50$US for a "family" license back when we had those, that was a pretty good deal, as the regular price was substantially higher. I'm glad to hear that you and your loved ones have gotten so much milage out of that, and, frankly, you can continue using the version you paid for since the license doesn't expire. That won't prevent other technology from moving forward though, so there is yet another benefit to upgrading. Our families need support too though, so there is a cost associated with that, since we put a lot of work into developing, testing, and supporting each new version. If you'll reach out to [email protected] with your purchase details though, we can help you and yours make the transition if you want to. :)

• Another solution that worked for me was to disable "Verify web browser code signature". Some people would frown on doing so, but this is the least change required !
    Help > Advanced > Verify web browser code signature

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Indeed, not something we recommend doing, as it allows anything to connect to 1Password. That's why we've removed that option in more recent versions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file