Annoying 1Password membership promotion

artemsyd
artemsyd
Community Member

From time to time I get the following popup right after launching 1Password:

How can I disable it? I am not interested in 1Password membership, I have a standalone license and I am happy with it.

I can't recall when this popup started to show up. First time I noticed it with version 7.2.4, but I still get it even after rolling back to 7.2.2.

Comments

• Hi @artemsyd ,

This will come up if you do not have your license file installed. Did you restore your Mac or clean up some files recently? It appears your license file was removed. I recommend downloading your license file, and double-click it to re-license 1Password.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• ag_kevin
    edited February 2019

Hi @artemsyd ,

The next time this happens, take note of the date and time. Then, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• The date/time you saw the prompt
    • the method you used to launch 1Password (via double-clicking the Dock, using a URL, etc.)
    • A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/494565/#Comment_494565
    • Your forum username: artemsyd

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the report and see what's up.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

Hi @artemsyd!

Have you received your ticket number by now? Sometimes it takes a few minutes for the email to go out.

Thank you!

ref: NLW-81499-573

• Hi atemsyd,

I have replied to the ticket directly. Check your email inbox, or junk mail folder if you don't see my reply.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@artemsyd thank you for reporting this. Can you please send us an updated diagnostic report so we can see if anything changed here? You can just reply to the existing email conversation you had if you prefer.

Thank you!

ref: ZQL-21238-696

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yep.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Quick followup, since I noticed you had meant to ask a question.

To clarify, as discussed previously, 1Password is reliant on Apple's APIs for validating certificates. That applies not just to browsers, for security when connecting to them, but to anything digitally signed, e.g. your license. You can try applying it again manually, but as long as 1Password is in an unsupported location, many such calls to macOS frameworks will fail. Frankly it's a wonder to me that you don't see the message constantly...but if you're not rebooting or manually killing 1Password often at all, it could be less frequent.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@artemsyd - I'm not sure what else to tell you at this point; we've already told you 1Password needs to be installed in /Applications instead of ~/Applications in order for it to validate properly, and you keep disagreeing with us. But then you also keep letting us know you're having ongoing troubles when you continue attempting to locate 1Password in ~/Applications.

You're welcome to continue trying to make 1Password work from this location if you would like, but as it's not a configuration we support, we won't be providing further assistance for that particular endeavor. Thanks for understanding.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@artemsyd: Did you try what I suggested? If you do, and you're still having trouble, I'll be happy to investigate further.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We're not going to spend any more time arguing with you, as there are others waiting for help who are actually willing to cooperate. We're not going to be able to help you at all if you won't. Period.

Just so we're 100% on the same page, my suggestion would be to do the following:

1. Quit 1Password Completely -- Command Control Option Q
    2. Drag any copies of 1Password to the Trash
    3. Restart your Mac
    4. Install 1Password to its supported sandbox location in the system /Applications folder using the installer provided here: https://1password.com/downloads/

If you encounter any trouble after that, send a fresh diagnostics report and tell us the specific problem you're having, and we'll take a look: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

• That's correct. In order to function properly 1Password has to be installed in /Applications.

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@artemsyd - referring back to another message from that thread from one of our developers (rudy),

I'm not going to go into details about which APIs we're using for this purpose, but the behavior won't be changing.

• @artemsyd

I'm sorry but we've given you all of the information that we have available. The solution is to install 1Password in /Applications, so that it works properly. If you'd rather not do that, that is your prerogative, but we won't be able to help with any issues (like this one) that you run into as a result. We will not be changing the requirement that 1Password be installed to /Applications to function as expected.

We've definitely beat this horse to death over multiple threads. If you decide to install 1Password to /Applications and still have trouble please reach out. Beyond that we don't have anything further to say on the subject.

Ben

• You're welcome. Best of luck.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.