Mac vault locked, no reply from 1Password support after 5 days

Options
Joatamon
Joatamon
Community Member

Last week, (Thursday, I think), I tried to open 1Password on my Mac. Instead of being prompted for my 1Password password, I was prompted for my App Store password. After much head scratching I entered it, then after much head (or whatever) scratching of its own, my Mac told me that the 1Password app was damaged, and I should delete it and reinstall it.

I deleted the app, but then I had to decide which version of the app to reinstall; from the web site or App Store. I originally bought the app around 2013, as best I can tell, but then there was some issue in 2016 about the App Store vs the web site. There were pros and cons for each version, IIRC, and I can't remember which choice I made in 2016. I assumed that I would have gone with the web site version.

I ended up with 1Password 7, which requires a subscription, and I could not access my vault! This was serious. I do keep all my passwords, and a bunch of other secure stuff, in the vault. I tried to contact Support via email and got the cheery, "My human friends have received your message..." reply on February 22, but since then I've heard nothing from friends, human or otherwise. I am not happy. When I put all my eggs in one basket, that basket suddenly becomes very important.

I can understand why the subscription model is so popular these days, but I didn't expect to be forced to choose it in a big hurry and without any warning. Maybe the "full featured" version is worth $36 per year to someone with a family and a lot of gadgets, but I'm a retiree who lives alone with a Mac, an iPhone, and an iPad. I was happy with the way 1Password worked for the past 6 years. If I pay $36 per year for a critical app, I certainly don't expect to have to wait 5 days and counting to hear from "human friends" when there is a problem with it.

Anyhow, what are my options at this point? Can I recover what I had, or must I pay the subscription fee or find another password manager? If I have to upgrade, is there a simple way to do that for a simple installation such as mine?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Joatamon - I'm sorry for the trouble, and for the delay in our response. You can definitely recover what you had; your data is not lost (assuming you didn't take further steps to delete anything). However, this will be a matter best handled in private, since it will involve details of your specific setup that shouldn't be handled in this public forum. We answer user emails in the order we receive them, and we've been experiencing a surge of support requests lately. Unfortunately, that means we're not up to our usual speedy reply times. I've asked our email support team to see if they can expedite your request, and one of us will be with you as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience in the meantime. Thanks. :)

• Joatamon
    Joatamon
    Community Member
    Options

I did try to handle this in private, but after 5 days without a reply I figured I'd try the forum. I hope that I hear from someone soon. Patience is in rather short supply at the moment... :(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Joatamon - I'm sorry for the delay. Did you not receive a reply recently (like, within the last half hour or so) from us? If not, it should be arriving shortly. Let me know if that's not the case.

This discussion has been closed.