To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Alt key revealing password - Fedora : Firefox

Options

Hello,

I just discovered that the alt key is actually revealing password when I'm using standard OS functionalities (navigating between virtual desktops) and navigating through multiple tabs in the browser, the 1Password application is actually revealing my passwords.
Is there any way I can disable this functionality that's totally unneeded to me ?

Kind regards,
Some random guy.

Comments

• Geolem
    Geolem
    Community Member
    Options

+1

1Password should permit to change or at least disable this feature.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Random_Username762! This behavior is intentional. It's there to allow users who keep passwords hidden (obfuscated) the ability to briefly show them, without having to click "Reveal."

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Geolem! Thanks for weighing in. I'll pass along your thoughts to the development team, but I can tell you I seriously doubt this will be changing, as it's literally a documented feature for years now, that many users rely upon (or at least use frequently). If we get a large inflow of users asking for it to be removed or changed, we'll be more likely to consider doing so, but as things stand, I doubt this will be changing. Thanks for taking the time to share your wishes with us, however! :)

• Random_Username762
    Options

Hello Lars,
    In fact, it's not a problem when I'm using my Windows workstation as the alt key is not actively used. However, the behavior becomes a significant issue when I'm on my Fedora workstation, as the alt key is tied to things such as :

• Tabs navigation in the browser
    • Virtual desktops navigation (and use and abuse them for organization)
    • Terminal shortcut
      The ability to either disable it or rebind it to another key would be very interesting in my case.
      Otherwise, the application runs as I expect it to, and I'm planning to give the CLI version a try because of curiosity.

Have a good day,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Random_Username762 - gotcha. That does sound like a less-common use-case (though not one we want to ignore, obviously). I hope you'll like what we've been able to do with the CLI so far; it's one of our more exciting newer projects. :)

I can't guarantee any quick or specific action with regarding allowing customization/rebinding of this particular keyboard function (or any other), but I'll certainly mention it to the development team. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.