Reused Password

Hi Guys.

So i am slowly going through all my logins in 1Password manager and then going to the site and changing my password to something unique per site. I have a few logins where i have used 1Password manager to either generate a password for me or i have used the suggested password. When i look in the 1Password app i see a orange banner about Reused Password. How is this possible? Is there a way to see from the password what other site it thinks i have this password used on? I am really trying to get a unique 20 character password per site.

Thanks in advance,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey, @McTechSolutions! First off, good job updating those passwords! It's a totally onerous task, but totally worth it. We're all rootin' for ya. :chuffed:

The reused warning you're seeing for generated passwords is probably our fault (sorry!). When you copy a generated password, a Password item is created as a failsafe so that if the new password isn't saved to your Login item for any reason, you can recover that generated password and aren't locked out of that account. After all, we're not going to be able to guess that password in a million years, right? Because this leads to two items using the same password – your Login item and the Password item – it's flagged as reused. We want to tidy these Password items for you automatically in a future update, but for now clearing them out will clear that duplicate flag. The easiest way to do this is to click Reused Passwords in your sidebar in the desktop app, then hold Ctrl and select any Password items under the same header as a Login item. Once you've selected all of 'em, Ctrl + Del to send 'em to the trash and you're set. :+1:

• Funchal
    Funchal
    Community Member

Yes, please clean this up via an update. Also, I have found at least one case where 1Password says that the same password is used on 2 different websites, but that is not the case (one current password is a series of words, the other a randomly-generated series of letters and numbers. In fact, looking at password history for both sites shows that there has never been a duplication, so I'm not sure where the program is finding the password associated with the second site. Webshot of the supposed duplication available if you want it.

• Before I have to ship you to e-mail for that screenshot, @Funchal, are these two items showing under the same partially masked password in your reused passwords list in Watchtower? I'm thinking it might be that there is an item excluded from All Vaults where that password is reused.

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member

(I'm hoping my issue is close enough to this thread to make sense..)

I'm working my way through all my passwords to ensure no reuse. Even after I change my password (using 1P to generate new random passwords), the orange "Reused Password" stays on the record for days. Closing and reopening the app makes no difference. Is there any way to force 1P to scan and recognize that a particular password is no longer in reuse? This happens across all my vaults. It usually takes about 2 days for the "Reused Password" banner to stop showing up...

• I'm not seeing this myself, @eelliott. When I update a reused password, it updates right away. Are you certain you're not running into exactly the same issue where you have a Password item that's being created and thus leading to the reused warning? Also, just because I know our search isn't awesome about telling you what category a post is in, are you having this trouble on Windows or a different operating system?

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member

I'm using latest version of Win10Pro. Issue exists on either desktop app or web version. Issue definitely exists. For example, I just updated a login that had a reused password, letting 1P generate a new password. The "Reused Password" banner still is on top of the record. I closed the 1P app, closed my browser. Opened 1P, went back to that record, the banner is still there. Typically it takes 1-2 days before the banner will go away. Nothing else seems to be able to remove it.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @eelliott,

Interesting (and quite strange). Are you able to tell us more about your network setup? Do you use any kind of VPN or proxy on your side? Thanks!

++
    Greg

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member

No proxy or VPN. For instance, the "Ralphs" example that I sent in the screenshot was changed about 6 hours ago, and the banner just disappeared in the last few minutes (I checked just before reading your comment, and then again before replying, that was when the banner disappeared). I have a rather standard setup (WiFi to home router @300Mbps; router to ISP on fixed wireless @100Mbps).

• I don't doubt that the issue exists, @eelliott, the question is why. To help us figure that out, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread so if someone beats me to your e-mail, they'll be able to connect the dots back here.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  For bonus points, post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly.

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to track down why this might be happening. Thanks very much! :smile:

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @eelliott, thank you for the screenshot!

Have you sent the Diagnostics Report? If you haven't, please do. We will take a look and let you know what we find out. :) Thanks!

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member

just sent

• Thanks so much, @eelliott! I found your e-mail and will take a peek as soon as I'm through my forum rounds. :+1:

ref: CXD-76136-333

This discussion has been closed.