1Password X Password Generator forces Random Type password, no choice to change to memorable.

I was setting up a new account on a website. I am slowly switching over to 1Password X because it eliminates keystrokes.

However, on a website where I am going through establishing or changing my password, 1Password X ONLY SUGGESTED THE RANDOM TYPE PASSWORD. I realize that a password like Tx561R&im_O is more secure than Teddy-Resident-Clover, but I prefer the later.

It would appear I have no choice in the matter. I must use the old menubar app to get to the full password generator to choose the memorable type of password. Unless there is something about the 1Password X interface that I do not understand.

Also, most sites today want a combination of letters and at least 1 number. Or a combination of numbers and at least one letter. I wish you would add the option in the Password Generator to add a single digit random number as a prefix or suffix to one of the words generated.

So instead of Teddy-Resident-Clover, I'd get Teddy-Resident3-Clover or Teddy-Resident-4Clover or Teddy-Resident-Clover1.

I know you have said in the past there are too many different requirements for passwords to improve the generator and you were studying the matter. However, I think the time has come to adopt my suggestion. Almost every website I have seen lately has a requirement for a minimum number of characters that must include at least one letter and one number. Your randomly generated passwords easily meet this requirement. But your memorably generated passwords do not.

I have never seen websites care what separator I use. Some take symbols and some don't, so the hyphen (-) is pretty much universally accepted. But darn if you haven't included the option to choose a separator. That's nice. But I have been asking for the ability to have a memorable password with a number in it for a least a year or two and it never seems to be something you chose to do.

So I am going to gently nudge you again in the direction of adding the ability to include a number (or even let the user choose the number sequence to be appended. Maybe the user has some favorite lucky numbers they like, which the could set in a box next to the preference line "include numbers". So I might like 8888 or if I want you to pick the numbers ## gets me two random numbers appended as prefix or suffix. It has to be as a prefix or suffix to be memorable. Password76 is memorable but Pa5ssword in not).

PLEASE revisit my suggestion. It just cannot be that difficult. If you wonder if others share my desire, a poll of your user base will answer that question quickly. But I suspect I am not alone.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.5 (70205002) AgileBits Sto
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.3
Sync Type: Agilebits

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @FogCityNative,

Why not set the separator to the Digits option?

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

There is no Digits Option in the choice of the separator when using passwords consisting of random WORDS. I prefer random words to gibberish.

The choices are hyphen, space, period, comma or underscore.

But it is a VERY GOOD IDEA to add that option although I prefer my idea to add the numbers before or after one of the words and allow the user to specify the quantity of numbers and either randomly generated or the users choice.

• Thanks for the feedback on this @FogCityNative. :)

Ben

• meagain
    meagain
    Community Member

I ran into similiar problem. I need to select the symbols allowed. The previous version worked for me. I now have to copy to WORD, make the symbol changes, copy the revised and paste.
    Also the location of the password generator was in the left column, now its hidden in the "gear", which IS NOT OBVIOUS!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @meagain,

Over even my small time at 1Password I've seen requests to allow controlling the set of symbols and I'll hold my hand up and say I would like that too, more so than I've ever felt the need to dictate the exact number of symbols in a generated password. While it's not the case of the answer being never and that's set in stone it would be wrong to not also say there has never been any enthusiasm for such a feature.

In the stable version of 1Password X it is not possible to modify the generated password from the toolbar menu to add to the inconvenience. I've tested the beta as well though (Chrome only for now) and found I could inline edit the generated password and that the modified password was used both for filling and recorded in the password generator history for retrieval if needed. If you're a Chrome user you could try it and see if that helps a little in lieu of the option you really wished it had. The beta version for Chrome is available at 1Password extension - Chrome Web Store.

In the beta version the password generator has been moved to the New Item menu behind the + button in the toolbar menu.

This discussion has been closed.