Do I have to use 1Password X everywhere?

Comments

• ebullister
    ebullister
    Community Member

I currently use 1password 4 on all my non-work windows computers. I want to upgrade to use 1password x on my work computer and 1password 7 on my non-work computers. I understand the desktop app in 1password 7 is more full featured than 1password x, however, I do not have permissions to install the desktop app on my work computer.

Chrome is my browser, and I sync it across platforms. I installed the 1password x extension (which is different from the 1password 7 extension) on Chrome on my work computer. When I did that, Chrome's synchronization installed this x extension on Chrome on all my other computers. When I change the default Chrome extension on any one computer, it gets changed on all.

As a result, it appears that the only way I can use 1password x on my work computer is to use it on all my computers. Is this correct?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ebullister,

We have had a couple of users express a preference of 1Password X on one machine but want to use the companion extension with either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows on another. The only way to maintain any sort of sanity in this situation is to disable sync of extensions.

That's for now anyway. Eventually we are looking towards allowing 1Password X to integrate with the native client if present but this isn't in any stable build yet so not an option for 1Password for Windows. Hopefully that won't be the case for too long though.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ebullister,

I moved your query from the other thread as the user was having very specific issues that didn't relate to your query. Please let us know if you have any follow-up questions.

This discussion has been closed.