Backup two vaults to different locations

Options
weinsteb
weinsteb
Community Member
edited March 2019 in Mac

My work just started to use 1Password. I was using before with a personal copy. So I have personal vault set up and have setup work vault. So I am using both on my office laptop.

Regarding backups, can I backup each vault to different locations. I currently backup my personal vault to icloud but do not want to have my work vault backed up to icloud. Can the two vaults be separated for backup?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS X High Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@weinsteb - if you're using standalone 1Password where you choose your own sync type, then yes -- you can choose your own sync setup on a per-vault basis. In fact, iCloud ONLY works on your Primary vault (which in your case would be your personal information). Other vaults would need to be synced by a different method. One popular method for secondary vaults is Dropbox, which is what I'd recommend for you.

I did want to point out that sync is not the same thing as backup. Sync is an active copy of the current state of your vault, so that multiple devices (home computer, work computer, tablet, phone, etc) can all use the same set of data. Backups, on the other hand, are a historical snapshot that gets done once a day or so, and kept in a file on your computer, so that if you ever need to restore an earlier copy of your data for some reason, you can. In standalone 1Password, the app itself makes a backup for you about once a day, and keeps up to 50 backups, one per day for a week, then one per week for a month, then monthly. That process is automatic, and you don't need to do anything special to activate it. You can see your backups by clicking Preferences > Backup, and you can see your Sync setup by clicking Preferences > Sync.

This discussion has been closed.