Created duplicates syncing with Dropbox

This discussion was created from comments split from: Removing duplicates.

Comments

• EmilStenstrom
    EmilStenstrom
    Community Member

On my computer I had a vault, with all my passwords, that did not sync to my other computers. I think I might have imported my passwords from Dropbox to this local vault, instead of adding the Dropbox vault as it was. Obviously this had to be fixed, so I added the Dropbox vault the correct way, and drag and dropped all the passwords from the local vault to the Dropbox one. Now all my passwords were updated, on all my computers. Only problem: I have 600+ duplicates. And by duplicates I mean everything is the same, except (I guess from reading above) the UUID (I guess passwords get new UUIDs when imported).

So it seems I have two options now:

1) Manually go through all 600+ passwords and delete them one by one. If I do this efficiently I think I would get by with "downarrow-downarrow-delete", so about 1800 keypresses. I would definitely make some mistakes along the way.
    2) I could download and run unvetted python code on my vault.

Are there a third option I'm missing here?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@EmilStenstrom: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the difficulty. I've split you off into your own discussion so we can focus on your issue without the confusion of the history in the old discussion from a year ago.

Indeed, when you sync that data it will go to all the other devices. Rather than trying to manually go through everything, it seems like it would be better to go back to the original vault you were using, before you duplicated and sync'd everything. What device did you have the 1Password data you want at that time? Be sure to let me know the exact OS and 1Password versions there. Thanks in advance!

• 247adg
    247adg
    Community Member

Same issue

• 247adg
    247adg
    Community Member

have 1password 6 on mac and needing to sync 1password 7 on pc. This is driving me crazy. The setup used to be so simple for 1password and I've used it for years on every device. Now it's so challenging. I've spent hours trying to get this all to sync using dropbox. I don't want a membership and want to use my existing licensing that I've paid for.
    Now I have duplicate logins, over 2000 and do not know what to do.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@247adg - if you have duplicated items, then unless you inadvertently/mistakenly synced or imported the same (or a similar) set of data into an already-existing set of data, the most-likely way you'd experience this would be if you created a 1password.com account (perhaps also inadvertently)? Is that a possibility? You mentioned you don't want a membership, but could that be a possibility? If you click Preferences > Vaults, what do you see there? How many vaults do you see, and what are their names?

• 247adg
    247adg
    Community Member

I fixed after about 8 hrs of work. The issue was the mac version 6 uses a different vault nomenclature than windows ver 7. I had to rename the old file from something like agile bits.vault etc. and change it to opvault etc. I deleted all other copies and also had to reconfigure about 4 other iPads, iPhones to make it all sync. It was not easy to find the answers online. I hope this helps someone else having the same issue.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@247adg - kudos to you on figuring things out! Agile Keychain was our first keychain format (prior to that, we'd been using Apple's keychain), and while it was a big advance at the time and great in its day, that day is more than ten years ago. In the interim, we developed (as you discovered) the newer OPVault format, and we've been recommending users switch to the newer format for a few years now. In 1Password 7, we formally retired Agile Keychain, which means newer installs using version 7 will not work with an older Agile Keychain in Dropbox. You'd have been asked to convert the keychain the first time you launched version 7. Not sure how you added both vaults into 1Password 6 for Mac, but glad you got it figured out. To be clear, 1Password 6 for Mac fully supports the OPVault format, and you should remove all Agile Keychain sync from any devices you use, and switch to the OPVault format. Let us know if you have any questions about how to do that on additional devices.

This discussion has been closed.