Concerns with Family Organizer permissions

Options
itspat
itspat
Community Member

I've now created a family account but now have some concerns with the permissions a family organizer has. As a family organizer i don't want to be able to instantly delete other users nor gain access to vaults widouth them beeing notified.
The reasoning behind that is, that I dont want to be held accountable if my account gets hacked.
Is it possible that a second family organizer would have to confirm such actions / a cooldown would be added for deletions?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've now created a family account but now have some concerns with the permissions a family organizer has. As a family organizer i don't want to be able to instantly delete other users nor gain access to vaults widouth them beeing notified.

@itspat: Thanks for reaching out! I'm not sure what you have in mind, so if there are additional details you can add let me know. But it's pretty essential that there be someone who is able to manage the membership -- from users to vaults, payment, etc.

The reasoning behind that is, that I dont want to be held accountable if my account gets hacked.

Can you tell me the specific threat you have in mind? I'm not sure what you mean by "hacked". Since only you ever have the "keys" to your account -- a Master Password of your choosing, and a 128-bit Secret Key which is randomly-generated on your device when you sign up -- you would literally have to give those to someone in order for them to access your account; they are not something that would be guessable, and of course you can make your Master Password as strong as you want (though if you make it as strong as the Secret Key you may have difficulty remembering and typing it!)

Is it possible that a second family organizer would have to confirm such actions / a cooldown would be added for deletions?

No, but that's an interesting idea. I think it runs counter to the concept of an Organizer or admin, but it's worth considering.

At the end of the day, you do have a lot of responsibility as an organizer, but that's important so that you have control over your data -- not us, and not someone you don't trust, either explicitly or implicitly. And as I mentioned above there are things you can do to safeguard your account, and with it those of your loved ones. Happy to discuss it in more detail as well. :)

• itspat
    itspat
    Community Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thank you so much for your explanation - I just started using 1pw and am really convinced!

No, but that's an interesting idea. I think it runs counter to the concept of an Organizer or admin, but it's worth considering.

I think it would add an additional layer of security and confidence for the members of a family, because a rough family admin (if intentional or not) could not instantly lock you out of your passwords and thus your online accounts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for your feedback! I'm not sure I would want to be a part of a family plan with a wild one as Organizer, but it's certainly something we can consider for the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.