Migration Issue #3: Documents: Imported photo wrong rotation

I just switched from 1Password 4 standalone to 1Password.com subscription. The good news is I'm up and running. The bad news is that I'm dealing with a number of issues. I already received help on one issue (thanks, Ben), and wrote up a second issue. Here's Migration Issue #3.

Because of Migration Issue #2, I'm trying to export and re-import photos. In the very first case I tried, the photo that I imported previews rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise. The image looks correct when previewed using the Mac version of the 1Password app.

Is the Windows app ignoring the Orientation property?

Migration Issue #1: 520 items are about to be deleted (actually titled "520 items are about to be deleted")
Migration Issue #2: Documents: Photos don't preview
Migration Issue #3: Documents: Imported photo wrong rotation

Usage Issue #1: See Migration Issues; some apply to usage.
Usage Issue #2: Documents: Can't drag and drop files into 1Password for Windows
Usage Issue #3: Documents: The "Documents" paradigm may be better for AgileBits programmers, but much worse paradigm for users

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey, @SoKal! I actually ran into that orientation issue and I don't think it turned out to be an issue we were able to address, but I'm struggling to recall the exact cause and I could easily be wrong. What file format are these images in? Is the photo only rotated in the preview, or is it rotated when downloaded again and opened as well? I'm hoping some additional detail will jog my memory so I can do a better job of searching for my prior solution.

While I've got you, too, I'd like to comment on some of your other issues as well:

520 items are about to be deleted (actually titled "520 items are about to be deleted")

This is very much on purpose. Yes, these items are being migrated and are recoverable regardless, but there's a fair bit of work involved in recovering them and that path may not be obvious to most. We want you to be very sure you're ready to remove that vault and are comfortable you have access to those items elsewhere. It sounds scary, but scary things are more likely to lead folks to pause and think.

Documents: Photos don't preview

They should, depending on format. There's a setting in 1Password > Settings general to enable them. Make sure "Show image previews for document items" is enabled and that these images are in supported formats (GIF, JPG, PNG, or BMP). Perhaps, if this can be resolved, you won't have to worry about #3.

Documents: Can't drag and drop files into 1Password for Windows

You can! Create a new Document item, then drag and drop the document you want to upload to the item details window to upload it.

Documents: The "Documents" paradigm may be better for AgileBits programmers, but much worse paradigm for users

Although this is merely personal opinion, I respectfully disagree. I hated attachments. Most of the documents I store in 1Password aren't related to any other item. They're things like copies of tax returns, receipts for large purchases, photos of various items for my insurance inventory, certain legal document I want my family to have access to if anything happens to me – all documents that stand on their own. In the past, I always had to create a Secure Note to attach them to and never really found a good way to give that note purpose. I usually made it an index of all documents attached and tried to use the notes like tags, in a way, but I really want to just upload the Document, tag them, and be done. I was thrilled to see discrete Document items. I know, not everyone is going to agree with me on that topic, but for my usage, Documents were a blessing. You can still link them to other items to better mimic attachments, if you'd like, too. I definitely think Documents have some room to grow, though. There are things I love about them, but they're far from perfect and I definitely agree attachments handled some use-cases better. We've got some balancing to do before they fully come into their own and I look forward to what the future holds. :chuffed:

• SoKal
    SoKal
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate, thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate your feedback on all of the items I listed, but for now maybe we should just focus on the photo rotation issue.

The photo is a 2.3 MB JPG photo I think originally taken from an iPhone 7.

When I open the photo in Preview on my Mac and do a Show Inspector, I get a "More Info" pop-up which has five "tabs". The first two are "General" and "Exif".

In the "General" tab, I see "Orientation 6 (Rotated 90 CCW)". On the "Exif" tab, I see nothing about orientation.

Don't know if that helps.

• Thanks for the info, @SoKal! I read that as indicating that Preview has rotated that photo 90 degrees counter-clockwise for you, but being a Windows gal, I phoned a Mac-savvy friend to be sure. Sure enough, I'm right. Essentially, because JPG is a bit lossy, the camera will set that orientation by setting an attribute rather than altering the pixels. That way, data isn't destroyed if it's wrong. If you edit the photo in Preview, rotate it, save it so the pixels are actually changed, then upload it, it should rotate properly. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that this is only going to affect how it previews. If you ever download the image and open it in a normal image viewer/editor, likelihood is that program will read the attribute and rotate it properly. Rendering images is, after all, image editing software's job.

Ideally, I feel like we'd do the same – it seems like this is something that could be fairly common given how prolific cell phone cameras are. You don't see many folks wandering with DSLRs anymore these days. I'll make sure to pass my findings along to the team so we can see what we can do to handle this attribute better in the future. :chuffed:

• SoKal
    SoKal
    Community Member

Thanks @bundtkate for passing on your findings to your team. Honoring rotation attributes would take 1Password's photo handling to a new level.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SoKal,

On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! We are always looking at ways to make 1Password better.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.