Upgrading from 4 to 7

Options

I'm currently using 1password for Window version 4.6.2 on two Windows 10 computers (home and work) and one 1password 4.5.3 android app on my phone. I'm syncing with Dropbox. Now that the Windows chrome extension no longer works, I'm thinking of taking the plunge and upgrading. I'm just a little confused by the new options and I have a few questions just to get all my ducks in a row before I start.

1. What is the cost of the Windows 7 app without a 1password membership?
  2. If I go with the standalone app, can I still sync my three devices (described above) using Dropbox?
  3. Would I have to upgrade my Android app too? How much is that?
  4. What is the advantage of having a 1password.com account vs going stand alone?
  5. Does a 1password.com account now become the repository I'm syncing too, eliminating the need for Dropbox?
  6. If I have a 1password.com account, do I always have to be connected to the internet to use the Windows 7 app and Android app, or do they keep their own local copies of my password data on each local device?

Thanks in advance for response. I may have follow-up questions.

~ Dan

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello, @dan_ and I'm so glad to hear you're considering 1Password 7.

What is the cost of the Windows 7 app without a 1password membership?

Standalone licenses are currently U.S. $49.99. That is our launch special price, however, and will go up to $64.99 in the future.

If I go with the standalone app, can I still sync my three devices (described above) using Dropbox?

You certainly can, but you would need to upgrade your Android app, most likely. I'm not totally certain that 1Password 4 for Android can't read OPVault, but the first mention of OPVault in our release notes is for 1Password 6 for Android, so it's likely earlier versions couldn't read OPVault. 1Password 7 for Windows requires OPVault, so you'd need an upgrade on Android.

Would I have to upgrade my Android app too? How much is that?

As implied above, I believe you would. 1Password 7 for Android is "freemium" so you can use the basic features for free and have the option to purchase the Pro Features via in-app purchase: https://support.1password.com/pro-features-android/ The Pro Features are U.S. $10.

What is the advantage of having a 1password.com account vs going stand alone?

Most notable in this context, free upgrades. Rather than having to worry about upgrading if and when you're ready and all the prep involved with that of buying licenses, updating apps, etc, you will be automatically upgraded to the latest version. Heck, if we do our job you may forget what version you're even using because it just doesn't matter as much anymore. As I'll discuss more below, sync is also automatic. No more Dropbox, no more having to remember where your data is or worry about what format it's in. If you get a new device, you install 1Password, sign in to your account and you're done. My favorite is sharing. My parents always used passwords even I could guess and it caused my great pain. Plus, they'd forget them, then call me asking what they were. I added them to my family account a few years ago now and I've not had one of those calls since. Plus, they've started using better passwords! It's awesome. You can learn more about the benefits of a 1Password membership here: https://support.1password.com/explore/membership/

Does a 1password.com account now become the repository I'm syncing too, eliminating the need for Dropbox?

Again, as I implied above, yes. Your data syncs automatically to your account with no Dropbox needed. You can also access your data in your browser as a result, and easily sync up a new device without having to worry about installing and configuring Dropbox first. If you only use Dropbox for 1Password, you can happily get rid of it.

If I have a 1password.com account, do I always have to be connected to the internet to use the Windows 7 app and Android app, or do they keep their own local copies of my password data on each local device?

Nope! They have local copies. Each has an internal database, so if you're offline, your app will read from that internal database and save any changes you make to that database. Once you reconnect, those changes will sync up to the server and your other devices. Keep in mind, however, that syncing does still require an internet connection (just like Dropbox), so if you had made some changes on your PC, but didn't use your Android device until you were in a cell phone black hole, you won't have those recent changes from Windows. Once you reconnect, however, they'll be waiting for you and sync right up. :+1:

• dan_
    dan_
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @bundtkate . Very helpful.

• It's no trouble at all, @dan_! All the best with the move to 1Password 7 and if you have any further questions or need a hand along the way, I'll be here to help. :chuffed:

• dan_
    dan_
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded on the 5th and I'm totally happy with the upgrade. Version 7 is definitely a leap forward from 4, not that there was anything wrong with 4. I say this as someone who has been using 1P since 2007. Keep up the good work you all.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dan_

Thank you for your kind words! We still have a lot to do in 1Password 7 and we have no intention to stop. :) Do not hesitate to reach out to us anytime, we are always here for you.

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.