Master Password wont work on macOS, but works fine on iOS (iPhone) with same password.

LaraHensel
LaraHensel
Community Member

While attempting to login to the 1password application on my macbook it stated that the password was invalid. I attempted the same on my iPhone and on 1password.com - it worked both on my iPhone and on 1password.com. It is really weird as I do not understand why it works the password works on my iPhone and on 1password.com but not on my 1password application on my macbook.
I found a similar 1password forum entry from 2017 from a customer with the same/similar problem: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/77919/master-password-wont-work-on-macos-but-works-fine-on-ios-with-same-password?fbclid=IwAR3yO25KzRsXcPYrIQOxPDLemWHeqdnWH5zybSQfw34C4wQn7lWRUNrtq9Q

I just recently started using 1password and currently in the process to start using it for my different apps and online applications. I am part of a family account. I also tried to re install the 1password application on my macbook but it didn't change anything.

Looking forward to your feedback and support as I do not know how to fix the issue.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Mojave 10.14.3 (18D109)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• KayJay
    KayJay
    Community Member

Hi @LaraHensel

I'm not 100% sure what this could be either from the information provided and it is strange that the password works on your iPhone as well as on the 1Password.com website, but not on your MacBook.

I wonder if you installed 1Password from the App Store on your MacBook or have you downloaded it directly from the 1Password website? Also, has the application ever worked on your MacBook or is this the first time you have tried to install it and use it?

Keep us posted.

Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @LaraHensel! If you have a 1password.com account that you're able to successfully sign into via the web and in 1Password for iOS, but it's not working in 1Password for Mac, then it sounds very much like either you have a local standalone Primary vault (which would mean potentially a different Master Password), OR you've previously or currently been a member of a different 1password.com account (which might also have a different Master Password). Is either of those things possible? If you think it might be (or you're certain it is), then the next question would be: when you look at your 1password.com account in 1Password for iOS or on the web, does it contain all your data? If so, then all you need to do is (in 1Password for Mac), click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data. Be careful, as this will do what it says; it will delete all the 1Password data on the Mac, and the next time you launch 1Password for Mac, it will be as if you're a new user: choose the option to sign into your (correct) 1Password account.

If you're not sure what some of the above means, or whether you have a local Primary vault, let me know and we'll handle it another way. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.