How does 1Password identify inactive 2FA?

Options
MWoodbury91
MWoodbury91
Community Member

I found some accounts that didn't have 2FA enabled and have since added it. The flag for inactive 2FA remains. I'm not sure how 1PW would know if that's active or not anyways, but how do I tell it it is activated now?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• KayJay
    KayJay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MWoodbury91,

When you say you added 2FA to the accounts that previously didn't have it enabled, are you using 1Password to provide the one-time password or are you using another app to manage two-factor authentication?

If you are using another app to provide the one-time passwords, then you can add the 2FA tag to those accounts in 1Password. Doing this will exclude those items from Watchtower.

Hope that helps!

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MWoodbury91!

As @KayJay correctly wrote, adding a 2FA tag to these items will have them removed from the Inactive 2FA list :)

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any questions!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MWoodbury91 - to just add to what ag_ana already said, the only way 1Password can "know" whether you're using 2FA on an account is if you've saved the 2FA/TOTP secret within 1Password itself. To determine if a site has 2FA available, we use twofactorauth.org's list...so that's how 1Password "knows" if it's available. But if you use a different authentication method like another authenticator app such as Authy or Google Authenticator, or a hardware token like a Yubikey, 1Password won't know that you've enabled it, and you'll need to add the "2FA" tag to suppress the warning about inactive 2FA. :)

This discussion has been closed.